1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.

Akame Ga Kiru

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Zaru, Nov 20, 2015.

1. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Yeah, I get it now. I just took that part too literally, as if something basically compels them to fight to death.

2. Bender Bite my shiny metal ass!

She will indeed be missed.

At least she got to take Tatsumi's corpse with her in the anime (it's still her loss since he dead for ppl complaining about that part).

3. SkitZoFrenic Führer of the Hentaiverse

Yeah, that part of the anime ending I actually liked quite a bit. Pretty sad that didn't happen in actual canon, but whatever...guess Tatsumi living is also pretty good.

4. Weiss The Price Of Freedom Sure Is Steep

6. Gemmysaur The Onii-sama

7. Superstars Well-Known Member

Surprisingly the anime actually ended better.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Morglay .

Screw the Megazord, final battle should have been Tatsumi vs Esdeath. If Hori wanted to end it with Akame vs Esdeath he should have established an Akame/Esdeath dynamic in the first place.

Ending was handled extremely incompetently tbh

11. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Pretty sure it was hinted at least a couple times through dialogue that Akame would be the one to fight Esdeath. It also probably had to be that way because Incursio was really the only thing that could defeat that Supreme Imperial Arms and it would have left the title character with nothing if Tatsumi defeated both Shikoutazer and Esdeath.

12. Tenma McLovin' It

Yeah, but there wasn't an Esdeath/Akame dynamic, a relationship between the hero and villain that's so important for such stories. The Tatsumi-Esdeath relationship was the most prominent in the series, and evolved through the manga until Esdeath respected Tatsumi as an equal. Then we never get a payoff. The Megazord was powerful, but it was just a plot device in the end and a poor final opponent for Tatsumi. We all rolled our eyes when Hori ended up including it in the manga.

I got the feeling that Horikoshi intended for Akame to be as important as Tatsumi, but Tatsumi was clearly the protagonist while until the last act Akame was a side character. Like I said, it was incompetently written.

13. Superstars Well-Known Member

Unrequited feelings is not an evolving relationship. Esdeath even admitted this chapter that Tats never even looked at her. In other words there was no relationship. Akame declared early in the series that she would kill esdeath. Esdeath even confirms this last chapter when she declares najenda's weapon was Akame against her.

I know, you wanted tension to build up between the two through speech bubbles. However that is not necessary, we all knew Akame was the one to bury esdeath as it was foreshadowed through Akame's declarations before the encounter.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  14. syntheticsound Zombie goast

I'm saving all of my criticism for the last chapter. But, I think we can admit that writing-wise, AgK wasn't stellar anyway. There were many missing opportunities for worldbuilding, character development etc.

15. Weiss The Price Of Freedom Sure Is Steep

16. Gemmysaur The Onii-sama

I was rooting for Chelsea, but we saw how that turned out.

17. syntheticsound Zombie goast

I was rooting for Ran to... eh, I'm actually okay with what happened to him. What I dislike is his anime portrayal.

18. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Final GanGan Joker Magazine Cover for the series

Jaegers apparently are on the alt version.

19. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Leone and Tats look weird... Maybe it's the angle though. Spoilers when?

20. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

http://www.yuncomics.com/archives/1849223

Similar to the anime.

21. Gemmysaur The Onii-sama

Spoiler:

So, the trump card marks on Akame is permanent?

Lol at Tyrantsumi grinning like an idiot even in dragon form.

Lol at Mine wailing at Tatsumi for being a dragon. They can't mate now without killing her in the process.

Dat spectre behind Akame...

Can anyone confirm if that sword on Akame is her sword in zero? The unhealable wounds thing?

So Akame, Kurome, Wave, Najenda, Leone and Mine are on a boat. Did Leone survive? Where's Tyrantsumi? Is he flying around or something? Or they gonna Night Raid their way in another country?

22. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Leone's beast mode looked cool. And it's similar to the anime but seems to go into more detail - which is kind of how I thought it would be. Saving my final thoughts for the translated version (or at least for when I'm not on a subway).

Sooo what about that alternate cover then?

23. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Alt Cover (https://twitter.com/gangan_joker/status/811570118534672386)

24. Gemmysaur The Onii-sama

I like how the guy who took the video zoomed in on Esdeath's skirt.

25. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Ah, I hope it gets scanned. I mean, it's got Esdeath, surely someone will get to it?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  26. Vino

27. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

My favs minus Leone lived so I'm alright.

The anime's ending and the episodes leading up will always be worse to me.

28. syntheticsound Zombie goast

I wish the anime didn't exist, or at least was made after the manga. I mean, they just went ahead and spoiled the story (and if I remember correctly, they weren't even hiding the fact that the anime would use the manga's intended ending for the most part).

I mean, I have a feeling that Leone's death makes more sense in the manga (maybe the fusion with her Teigu was fatal and she went off to die because she felt it and knew it was hopeless, as opposed to just walking off to die with some wounds without even trying to seek medical help). And I also see that there are a few panels that are likely explaining how the Empire's going to be governed from now on (which the anime omitted).

Frankly, once Ran was out of the picture for good, I had little left to care about, but I did want to see most loose ends tied up (and it's not like there were many anyway). The manga ending seemingly does that (we even see The Lord there), so I'm fine with it. My biggest complaint would be the fact that there was more potential to the story that could have been explored, but I may save it for my final thoughts.

29. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

30. syntheticsound Zombie goast

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/magazine/joker/index.html

I want a bigger version so badly :catdespair

Seriously, the NR version even got a mobile wallpaper. Is Esdeath not the most popular character? Come on...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  31. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Saw this posted on tumblr (last chapter partial summary):

Spoiler:

Leone - Unlike the show, Akame suggested that she get medical aid but Leone refused by saying how she’s a bad person and this was her sins coming to get her or something so she chose to die.

Tats & Mine - Due to the physical and mental injuries they sustained, they retired from service. It is revealed that Mine is pregnant w/Tat’s kid(happened during chapter 50+Akame saw them). They get married & settle down away from civilization.

Wave & Kurome - One of Wave’s internal organs is damaged overall he’s fine. Kurome’s life is extended and lives with Wave but she keeps seeing images of those she killed.

Najenda - Never marries.

Akame - Mops up the stragglers from the empire and goes on a boat trip to the east in order to find a cure for the murasume tattoos.

33. Vino

34. Rukia we are all Kings

So the series officially ends with a whimper? Well, okay..

35. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Eh. Personally, the tone shift isn't as jarring as in certain other manga series I've read (don't want to reopen those wounds though). After all, AgK was never really going for deep tragedy. The Leone thing, if it really is literally just that, is definitely frustrating.

Now, I wanted to try and imagine how I'd have written the ending, but I realize that it would also take changing other aspects of the story for my version to work (and yes, there'd be more Teigu lore stuff, of course).

Edit: hell to the yes

36. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

The anime had a pretty sad ending and was probably one of the best tragic works I have ever seen, now that I look back on it. The manga ending was kind of lackluster in comparison.

37. syntheticsound Zombie goast

It still doesn't compare to many other series I've read. May be just because I'm more used to Seinen horror/thriller stuff in which everything leads up to tragic or bittersweet endings. To me, AgK had always felt more over-the-top than anything.

38. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

I don't think I've seen many other tragic anime/manga other than this series, so you may be right. Still, even when compared to tragic works of fiction I've seen/read outside of anime/manga, Akame ga Kill is one of the better ones.

Even though the "good guys" ended up winning, it still feels like they lost a lot more than they gained, which leaves an unsatisfied and frustrated feeling for the viewers. IMO it was pretty courageous for the writers and producers of the anime to attempt something like that... I could probably write an entire essay on why I think the anime had a stellar tragic ending, lol.

39. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

Curious what reasons why you think the anime had a stellar tragic ending?

40. syntheticsound Zombie goast

Well, my view of the anime is very skewed because of Ran. I think his little story arc in the manga is excellent (at least by comparison), and since it's absent in the anime, I can't help but be disappointed (although I understand the reasons perfectly).

41. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

- Akame was an excellent character in the anime and her development was also very tragic. She was always quiet and reserved, but we could see that Night Raid and her sister were the two things in her life that provided her any sort of happiness. However, she eventually had to kill her sister and everyone in Night Raid died, so she ended up just how she started before joining Night Raid: completely alone with nothing but the weight of the lives she had taken. She had no friends or family left and she lost her humanity. Ultimately, she ended up exactly how the Empire expected her to when they trained her: a cold, inhuman killing machine. Tragic ending for a character who played such a big part in defeating the Empire.

- Tatsumi was also another particularly great character. He started out as a clueless country boy with no desires but to get rich and save his village, but he ended up saving the entire country and realizing there was more to the world than just his own hometown. However, in the process, he lost all his friends (both new and old), his lover, and his own life. The scene at the end where his villagers finally received the money was also pretty sad...

- Basically every character we grew attached to died, all of them sacrificing their lives for the greater good of defeating the Empire. As stated in the anime, Night Raid will be forgotten and no one will even remember who they were or what they sacrificed. To the outside world, the struggles Night Raid endured will have meant nothing, but to the viewer and to those in the organization, they were very important. Their deaths weren't like Hiruzen's in Naruto where there was an elaborate, cliched funeral scene and everyone in the village mourned for him. No one will ever know what Night Raid had to sacrifice to achieve the Rebellion's victory.

- Romance in this anime was very interestingly done. Mine fell in love with Tatsumi but died soon after, showing that even something as powerful as love cannot transcend the realities of the battlefield. Esdeath is another example of this (and her ending was more bittersweet in the anime because Tatsumi was also dead).

I could go into more detail, but those are the main reasons why I liked the ending of the anime. These are subjective views, though, so it's hard to put them into words.

Yeah, Ran was a lot better in the manga.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  42. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

Ah I see though u mind kinda go into detail about esdeath and her ending in the anime sorry if I'm asking too much.

43. syntheticsound Zombie goast

To me, he's the most interesting character in the manga. I could write a wall on why but I don't think anyone would appreciate :catshivers

44. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Esdeath was a good character both in the anime and manga, but I think she was slightly better in the anime just because of the fact that Tatsumi was also dead.

Esdeath clearly had some sort of mental disorder, in part due to her upbringing and traumatic experience of seeing her village wiped out and also in part due to the Demon Extract. Despite that, a shred of humanity managed to make its way into her soul when she fell in love with Tatsumi. In both the anime and manga, she fought to understand how love fit into her warped ideals, and ultimately her love for Tatsumi made her reevaluate her entire sense of being.

Unfortunately throughout the series, it seemed as if the demonic and insane side of Esdeath was winning her internal struggle. Aside from her short interactions with Tatsumi, she acted like an inhuman monster, only existing to kill and torture. She acted this way up until the very end in the manga, but in the anime it was different.

In the anime, it was Esdeath's humanity that eventually won out. She died happy with the knowledge that she could be together in death with Tatsumi, and this was even shown physically when she encased both herself and Tatsumi in ice before dying (a beautifully-done scene). Though she lived her entire life filled with evil intentions, Esdeath was able to latch onto a piece of humanity as she died, something she yearned for but thought she could never have.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  45. Gemmysaur The Onii-sama

Interestingly, this is terribly misplaced.

46. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Translation Here (http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/151264153#top)

47. oMeGa1904 Dr. Maddie Ahn

Oh didn't know NF had an AGK section. Well Esdeath has become one character i can say was consistent in this whole manga. She never contradicted, she lived and died like she was described.

48. syntheticsound Zombie goast

I don't even normally go on tumblr, I was just stalking it for the past few days in hopes of getting the Jaegers cover.

Edit: lol damn, Ran looks really uncomfortable in the pic but I'm keeping it :catsmug

Edit too: so one of Wave's organs is "damaged beyond repair", but apparently he is okay despite that (no life support or anything). So which organ was that? One kidney? One lung? Or just some plot "there totally was a price to pay" organ?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  49. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

1: Esdeath
    2: Akame
    3: Chelsea
    4: Tatsumi
    5: Mine
    6: Kurome
    7: Lubbock
    8: Wave
    9: Leone
    10: Bulat

50. syntheticsound Zombie goast

No surprises here. Wasn't the anime's poll roughly like this too?