1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

A Song of Ice and Fire - Part 1

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Tazmo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Nae'blis mellifluous lassitude

Theon was awesome once he arrived in Pyke. Or maybe a bit during the journey. Between the journey to Pyke and the dinner with his father, best moments. I loved his conversation with his sister before he knew who she was. After that all turns to shit.

2. martryn Dick in hand

3. Mr.Blonde The grip must be delicate!

Theon's chapters in Dance are nothing short of amazing.:datass

4. cha-uzu Active Member

Well the books are like leagues better then the TV show to me, but I do love the show as well.

One thing thats funny is when i watch the show, it seems like its on speed! Like everything seems so much faster. I mean even the scenes. And also the things they take out and add, that they feel is good for the show isn't always good for the show. One thing is that Khal Drogo could speak the common tongue, I have no idea why he couldn't in the show.

Also the tv politics as well...

I would read the books. It doesn't spoil it for me at all because they are a bit different. And watching things play out on screen is quite nice!

5. cha-uzu Active Member

Not really sure he'd change it, as he already knows how the story ends. so i don't believe he would change something like that which would probably be important to the end story. Just my opinion.

6. cha-uzu Active Member

Spoiler:
    Although I thought the scene was pointless, The books hint at there being a relationship between Stannis and Melly.

7. cha-uzu Active Member

Exactly! :wink

8. Taleran Back to Nothing

So I am 500 pages into DoD and something really irks me.

Spoiler:
    The Aegon reveal seems like 11th hour plotting and an ass pull on George's part. I get that it was a tad foreshadowed in Book 1 but it is still right out of left field and adds more complications for the sake of them.

9. choco bao bao いるす

That got me annoyed too. It makes everything seem vague and immensely unpredictable and it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I?m not sure what GRRM wants to achieve here: is this a relevant twist to the overall plot or just a random plot device? I really hope it?s the former.

10. Fierce Meh

It's only an ass pull if he's real. ;)

11. cha-uzu Active Member

There are many pretenders....

12. josh101 SAS

Just finished the red wedding in book three. Knew that Rob died but fuck it's going to suck now he's gone.

13. DemonDragonJ The User

I wonder what great disaster shall befall House Tyrell, being that nearly every other major noble house has experienced trouble and strife? What does everyone else say about that?

14. Fierce Meh

I mean....last we heard, Loras has one foot in the grave.

15. josh101 SAS

looooooooooooooool.

Joffrey done by a fucking pigeon pie. So glad after he what was doing to Tyrion, but now the whore Cersei thinks Tyrion did it?

16. DemonDragonJ The User

Cersei was never fond of Tyrion, so, despite the sheer improbability of him being responsible for Joffrey's death, she is blaming him, as he is a convenient target for her hatred and desire for revenge.

Also, on that subject, in A Dance with Dragons, Tyrion hinted at having feelings of hatred for both of his siblings. I can understand him not being fond of Cersei, but why would he hate Jaime? If I recall correctly, Jaime was one of the few people who treated Tyrion with respect and dignity, when nearly everyone else shunned him because of his short statue.

17. Fierce Meh

Because when Jaime frees Tyrion before his execution at the end of Storm, he admits to lying about Tysha (Tyrion's first love) actually being a whore he hired...she wasn't. Tyrion's pissed at him for that.

18. DemonDragonJ The User

Yes, I can understand Tyrion being angry about that, but it seems rather extreme for him to want to kill Jaime for that, in my mind.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. Fierce Meh

He'll get over it, but you'd be pretty pissed too if you found out the love of your life wasn't actually a hired whore like you were told when you were forced to get rid of her. Especially after she was raped by a bunch of Lannister soldiers.

20. cha-uzu Active Member

Jaime aided in getting him to believe his wife was a whore which led to the rape of his wife by dozens of men as well as tyrion himself... Ye he should Hate him.

21. Nae'blis mellifluous lassitude

I think she was raped by a whole barracks of guardsmen before Tyrion was told to have his turn. Tyrion loved Jaime most for that one kindness... and it turned out to be a lie.

22. GaaraoftheDesert1 commemorating failure

I am still in the second book, but I got spoiled on what happened to Theon... and it sounded similar to what happened to Griffith in Berserk :hmm

23. masamune1 Crouching Tiger

Apart from the whole "sell my soul, become a demon, turn into an utter evil bastard and try to take over the world" thing, you mean.

24. Anarch let's roll the dice

Can anyone give me links for the sample WoW chapter(s) that are out ?

25. Mr.Blonde The grip must be delicate!

26. Anarch let's roll the dice

27. Johnny &#32

There's maybe a scarce handful of events in Theon's story that are similar to Griffith's, but that's where the similarities end. Because Griffith and Theon are completely different beings. One's ambition is driven by reality, the other by his belief that he is owed something according to his lineage. In other words, the actions of the two and the reasons that underpin these actions differ wildly.

Other than the whole ''rise then fall, [then rise again for Griffith],'' they're nothing alike in character or story.

I decided to buy GoT again because of the shineh cover, and reread Bran's chapter with Old Nan, about the last hero. The way he was described reminded me a lot of Jon; although many love to romanticise Jon as being Azhor Azhai - or maybe they're one and the same?

28. Mr.Blonde The grip must be delicate!

^What anime is that in your sig?

29. DemonDragonJ The User

So, what may happen to House Frey? Now that they have clearly shown that they are traitors, no other house or faction shall ever trust them again, plus, the heinous nature of their betrayal hes left me hoping that they shall receive a very harsh comeuppance.

30. Johnny &#32

It's from the second Berserk movie.

31. martryn Dick in hand

Aw. An answer. I should have been more patient. I guess I can't take the rep back...

32. Johnny &#32

You can't. :maybe

Slightly off-topic here, but I nicked the set from the trailer for the second movie, which is being released in Japan sometime in June (English release much later). Although the CGI is a little iffy at times, it's still a welcome improvement on the '97 anime series.

Trailer.

33. Magnum Miracles Grand King

So, I just finished A Clash of Kings. It was awesome, and I am loving this series.

I've hated fantasy for quite some time now, because fantasy usually focus on world building and talk about descriptions for 3 pages.

A Song of Ice & Fire is different though. It's like a medieval political thriller, with beautiful characters to help drive a complex plot. Definitely one of my favorite book series of all time. It was wrong of me to put down this series just because of my distaste for fantasy, and now I'm eagerly anticipating A Storm of Swords.

34. choco bao bao いるす

Glad you're enjoying it! You'll be even more blown away by A Storm of Swords :hurr

35. Taleran Back to Nothing

I don't want to sound condescending but what Fantasy had you read to create those feelings?

36. Magnum Miracles Grand King

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Eragon.

37. Nae'blis mellifluous lassitude

38. Fierce Meh

LotR is amazing, and Harry Potter was great for what it was.

39. Anarch let's roll the dice

Harry Potter had pages on world building and description :O

40. Johnny &#32

ASOIAF has a fair amount of ''world building,'' by way of certain characters such as Ser Jorah, Varys, Ser Barristan, Doran etc., explaining about the many extinct Targaryen House branches, inter-house conflict and past events that are relatively alien to the current timeline. None of which is particularly important to current events, but are discussed nonetheless to, well... build the world; or rather give some flesh to the bones.

Unless ''world building'' is being used exclusively for locations... when in actuality is encompasses much more than the physical.

It might not be Tolkienesque, but what is? :wha

41. Nae'blis mellifluous lassitude

Martin takes an almost perverse pleasure in laying out the specifics of the meals characters are having. I'd say he spent as much time on that than Tolkien did on Minas Tirith.

42. Taleran Back to Nothing

Yeah and he often goes into the depth of the houses and banner men that we really don't need to know every single name of. Certain chapters are incredibly tiresome for that.

43. martryn Dick in hand

You should read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. It's almost entirely character driven. In fact, the world is called simply, The Land.

44. Pineapples Rain, rain, go away

45. Dragonus Nesha Le Rouquin Super Moderator

Wish I could send that to my friend but he's only in Clash of Kings. :tomasulk

46. pfft Virago

I thought he did that to show us how the whole world is becoming more and more fucked. I mean you see how various people are starving or barely surviving on meager scraps with bacon grease bread and maybe part of a sliver of sausage as the war keeps going on etc.. and how some people are still eating up like fat cats because they are apart of the ignorantly wealthy not yet fully fucked yet. Its the story within the story.. his devil in the details shit.. which i fucking love.

47. GaaraoftheDesert1 commemorating failure

Cant wait to see Euron awakening his mangekyo and conquering Westeros:swtf

48. Whimsy .

I think it's because he loves eating

49. Magnum Miracles Grand King

Just finished a Storm of Swords. It is the best of the series! Now I'm waiting on A Feast for Crows.

Littlefinger is such a troll :lmao.

50. Magnum Miracles Grand King

Could I read A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons at the same time? Because i heard they both take place right after the end of a Storm of Swords.