Will PK/Yonkou Luffy still pull stunts like him vs Monet? - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > One Piece Avenue > Ohara Library

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Green Monkey
I smoke rocks
ANBU Squad Leader

Green Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is Luminary
Default Will PK/Yonkou Luffy still pull stunts like him vs Monet?

What I mean by this is, do you guys still think that even when Luffy is at his peak physical strength, that he will be bogged down by enemies a shit ton weaker than him. For example, could you see EOS Luffy having to run away from some VA with a hax fruit simply because he was acting too stupid at the start of the fight to defend himself? (IE, Monet) I hope Luffy at some point takes Zoro's advice to heart...permanently, but retains his lackadaisical attitude, except when he is fighting.

Green Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
shit
of the Rebellion
God of Shinobi

shit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermenschshit ist ein Übermensch
Send a message via Skype™ to shit

I think you're over-stating the monet shit

who starts out all serious and going all out against some hot chick?

shit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Green Monkey
I smoke rocks
ANBU Squad Leader

Green Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is LuminaryGreen Monkey is Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by shit View Post
I think you're over-stating the monet shit

who starts out all serious and going all out against some hot chick?
I don't think it can be overstated enough...IIRC there hasn't been any other situation where someone so much stronger than someone got so thoroughly raped, even if he wasn't trying at all. Monet may be pretty, but if Luffy had 2 brain cells to rub together he should have gotten the idea that she wasn't a total weakling since she volunteered to fight in Caesar's place, and was confident she could hold him off for a while.

I get your point though, but I think if you took Zoro, or Sanji without his sexism, neither would look as badly as Luffy did in that scenario simply because they don't fool around as much.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Aladdin
The Serenity Incarnate

Aladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is Rapturous
Send a message via Skype™ to Aladdin

So basically, you want to change Luffy's character?

It's more like thats just how Luffy is. It's like how shanks was right? He doesn't see reason to take things so seriously right away. I guess it goes with age and experience though. After a couple years he will change to be a bit more serious about battle but not drastically

Aladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Green Monkey
I smoke rocks
ANBU Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♚StrawHatLuffy♚ View Post
So basically, you want to change Luffy's character?

It's more like thats just how Luffy is. It's like how shanks was right? He doesn't see reason to take things so seriously right away. I guess it goes with age and experience though. After a couple years he will change to be a bit more serious about battle but not drastically
Luffy is an evolving character...I do want to change him..in a small way, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Characters are supposed to change over the course of a story, and Luffy taking battles a hint more serious while maintaining his other areas of idiocy wouldn't really change anything significant story wise...other than chapters not being wasted on Luffy half assing it against weakling opponents. Like you said at the end...that is what I am asking. Not if he is going to change his entire personality, but if he will make the minor adjustment of not leaving himself so completely open.

Not to mention this change has been foreshadowed by Zoro as I mentioned...it just seems as if Luffy let it go in one ear and out the other.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Pastelduck
Tower of God rocks!
Elite Jounin

Pastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faithPastelduck is a guardian of the faith

I don't think Luffy is going to change as much as you wanted him to.

Pastelduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
TrainerRed
Gen 1
Missing-nin

TrainerRed has disabled reputation

Its not in Luffy's nature to go full beserk on any character unless they show themselves an immediate threat to his nakama or allies. Luffy could've easily pounded Franky in their first encounter in Water 7 but Luffy isn't one to Elephant Gun a near-fodder character like Monet.

TrainerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Aladdin
The Serenity Incarnate

Aladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is RapturousAladdin is Rapturous
Send a message via Skype™ to Aladdin

Tbh all that you're saying is what I wanted when I first started the series but that changed. Apparently, its what makes someone badass in a sense. However, badass doesn't define Luffy, Luffy defines badass is basically the goal of Luffy's character imo. Take everything lightly, and then when shit gets real, luffy has some sort of stimulus of some sort that gets him going

Aladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Green Monkey
I smoke rocks
ANBU Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♚StrawHatLuffy♚ View Post
Tbh all that you're saying is what I wanted when I first started the series but that changed. Apparently, its what makes someone badass in a sense. However, badass doesn't define Luffy, Luffy defines badass is basically the goal of Luffy's character imo. Take everything lightly, and then when shit gets real, luffy has some sort of stimulus of some sort that gets him going
I feel you, but I guess the best way to say it is that Luffy doesn't seem to know when things are serious...Monet blocking him from Caesar is about as serious of a situation as you can get...Caesar was planning on killing everyone inside the building, including the SH's, once he got away from Luffy. Of course due to manga awesomeness it didn't happen...but logically, Luffy deciding to go easy on Monet likely would have cost nearly everyone inside that facilities life.

I have always been slightly annoyed when Luffy acts dumb in situations that aren't comic relief (fights basically). Most people seem to love it though so I guess I'm alone. It just seems counterproductive, and as if Luffy is getting less and less badass when he should be getting more so.

What would make Luffy badass to me is not if he went full throttle from the start...but he at least, like Zoro, defended himself so that when he's not going full throttle he at least doesn't look like an idiot.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Heretic
Doesn't want a Custom Title
S-Class Missing-nin

Heretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faithHeretic is a guardian of the faith

Yeah he will. He's just gonna be so much stronger that its harder to do to him, so it'll be like a stronger Monet variant who can pull that off.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Pacifista
PX Project
Kage

Pacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is TranscendentPacifista is Transcendent

At such a point, I don't think it can be done. I mean, that'd just be completely asanine. Pirate King Luffy treated like a punk? Please, no. Oh please for the love of his hat no.

Pacifista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
CandyCocaine
Crack Head.
Special Jounin

CandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is LuminaryCandyCocaine is Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
At such a point, I don't think it can be done. I mean, that'd just be completely asanine. Pirate King Luffy treated like a punk? Please, no. Oh please for the love of his hat no.
I like that word, I'm going to use it now.

Luffy ain't no punk. He's just a goofy guy

CandyCocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
PureWIN
Mr. Prince

PureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is ElysianPureWIN is Elysian

I'd love to see Luffy still get punked like he does now, but his reaction change:

Current: "Oh no! "

Later: "Oh no...."

That would be great.

PureWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
tupadre97
Just don't give a damn
Legendary Ninja

tupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestialtupadre97 is Celestial

No... he's gonna learn his lesson real soon with these next 2 arcs and after that he should be more serious at least in battle.

tupadre97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
EndlessStrategy
The Wandering Tactician
S-Class Missing-nin

EndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupadre97 View Post
No... he's gonna learn his lesson real soon with these next 2 arcs and after that he should be more serious at least in battle.
He already knows what happens when you're weak. Why shouldn't he already know what happens when you're careless? If he hasn't learned by now, I doubt he ever will.

EndlessStrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
Marcellina
♥~Kawai as Fuck~♥
Sith Lord

Marcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESSMarcellina is making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS
Send a message via Skype™ to Marcellina

yes he will

Marcellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #17
Renegade Knight
Horoween
Legendary Ninja

Renegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is Rapturous

Don't really understand why some folks make such a big deal about Luffy's conflict with Monet. Especially when it was all so that Luffy could find Momonosuke.

Monet grabs Luffy.
He gets sleepy.
He gets out of it fairly easy.
He breaks a hole in the ground to escape.
He falls into the basement.
He finds Momo.

It's just simple PIS.

Renegade Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
EndlessStrategy
The Wandering Tactician
S-Class Missing-nin

EndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is CelestialEndlessStrategy is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Knight View Post
Don't really understand why some folks make such a big deal about Luffy's conflict with Monet. Especially when it was all so that Luffy could find Momonosuke.

Monet grabs Luffy.
He gets sleepy.
He gets out of it fairly easy.
He breaks a hole in the ground to escape.
He falls into the basement.
He finds Momo.

It's just simple PIS.
Because it was such an obvious plot contrivance. I'm sure that Oda could have come up with a way to introduce Momonosuke without making Monet seem Heaven and Earth above how strong she actually is. It made Luffy seem weak. It's the worst power portrayal in the entire manga, and it made her subsequent fight with Zoro extremely disappointing. That's why people make such a big deal about it.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #19
Renegade Knight
Horoween
Legendary Ninja

Renegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is RapturousRenegade Knight is Rapturous

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessStrategyGames View Post
Because it was such an obvious plot contrivance. I'm sure that Oda could have come up with a way to introduce Momonosuke without making Monet seem Heaven and Earth above how strong she actually is. It made Luffy seem weak. It's the worst power portrayal in the entire manga, and it made her subsequent fight with Zoro extremely disappointing. That's why people make such a big deal about it.
Did you miss the part where I said he got out of it fairly easily after she hugged him?
She didn't even injure him. It's the fans that hyped her up so much.

Renegade Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
EndlessStrategy
The Wandering Tactician
S-Class Missing-nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Knight View Post
Did you miss the part where I said he got out of it fairly easily after she hugged him?
She didn't even injure him. It's the fans that hyped her up so much.
It doesn't matter that he got out of the bind easily. That just means that he can break through floors. The scene seemed to imply that Luffy was escaping because he simply couldn't handle her. She could make Snow Huts faster than he could break them, and she was fast enough to bind him before he could react to her presence. If Monet had taken the time to reinforce the floor, it seemed like Luffy would have lost. That's not the sign of a drastically weaker opponent. It's the sign of your equal, at least.