Inquiring about a laptop's specs, and whether it's good enough for gaming - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Konoha Mall > Tech Hub

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Death-kun

Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!
Default Inquiring about a laptop's specs, and whether it's good enough for gaming

Hey all, I just need some insightful opinions. I already have the parts for a gaming PC (that I still need to assemble after having to RMA a faulty motherboard), but I've been looking into getting a new laptop as well, as the $300 netbook I'm using right now is beginning to not be enough for me anymore. I just wanted to know if the laptop I'm about to show you is good enough for gaming (it doesn't need to be amazing omg gaming, I have the PC for that) as well as any day-to-day things a nerdy college student could ever need it for. I was looking at this laptop here (this isn't advertising, just fyi):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-15z...item2318b9d0a5

Here's the detailed specs if you don't feel like looking at the link:

Detailed Specifications:
-- XPS 15z
-- 8 Cell Battery
-- Certified Refurbished
-- DataSafe Online Backup Software
-- Dell Support Center 64 Bit 2.0
-- Wave Systems Software
-- 15.6 inch FHD (1080P) WLED Display
-- 750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
-- Internal Backlit Keyboard - English
-- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0
-- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
-- Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription
-- Microsoft Office Starter
-- NVIDIA GeForce GT525M 2GB graphics with Optimus
-- 90W AC Adapter
-- 125V Power Cord
-- 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
-- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
-- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
-- 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
-- Processor: Intel Core i7-2640M 2nd generation Processor (2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz)
-- Image Restore Software

Death-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
TheWorldForgotten
Academy Student

TheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant futureTheWorldForgotten has a brilliant future

That is a rather good offer. The GT 525M isn't super stellar when it comes to gaming, but sure it'll drag most titles on medium at least. A year old ones on high. The advantages to that PC is that it has inherited the original XPS 15's superb display and almost as great speakers too. As a fashionable entertainment PC, it's unrivaled.

TheWorldForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Death-kun

Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!Death-kun is a loser I can't hate!

Thanks for the insight! Like I said, I don't need something super powerful to trudge through 2012 games on high settings. I just need an upgrade... badly. I just want a laptop that I can multitask with, do schoolwork with AND game with when I don't feel like firing up the PC or if I'm away from the PC.

Death-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Sanity Check
Always Believe
Hokage

Sanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is DivineSanity Check is Divine

Look for graphics card reviews that list fps numbers(near the bottom):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.43889.0.html

As long as the CPU is relatively modern, the graphics card is the bottleneck in terms of what your laptop/desktop will be able to achieve game-wise.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
Eight
Rookie

Eight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdom

That video card looks pretty weak for trying to power any game on a 1080p resolution. if you can find anything that has a 540m at least, you should be better off, but the CPU looks good enough, and that's more than enough RAM.

Eight is offline   Reply With Quote