Internet Speeds - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Konoha Mall > Tech Hub

Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
xArunOwnsz
Martial Artist
ANBU Recruit

xArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faith
Default Internet Speeds

Well.. My wireless Modem Router powered by Virgin Media runs at 120mbps (so it says on the status screen of my laptop when it's checked in to), when Im right next to it, it runs at 150Mbps.

I went onto a speedtest website and my numbers were as follows:
25 = ms
9.09 = Download Speed
3.01 = Upload Speed

Is this right? Im sorry I dont understand, could someone please explain?
That test was taken when Im sitting away from the router, the status at the time on my laptop said 120Mbps.

xArunOwnsz is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Zaru
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Advisor

Zaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissorsZaru saved the planet with a pair of scissors

You do realize that the transmission speed of your wireless router has nothing to do with the maximum download/upload speed of your internet connection? The two are independent unless your router is slower than your internet (which isn't the case here)

Zaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
xArunOwnsz
Martial Artist
ANBU Recruit

xArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faithxArunOwnsz is a guardian of the faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaru View Post
You do realize that the transmission speed of your wireless router has nothing to do with the maximum download/upload speed of your internet connection? The two are independent unless your router is slower than your internet (which isn't the case here)
1) Nope
2) So is this a slow connection then?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Shidoshi
Cross Marian: Ninjai's Father
Legendary Ninja

Shidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is TranscendentShidoshi is Transcendent
Send a message via AIM to Shidoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Shidoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArunOwnsz View Post
1) Nope
2) So is this a slow connection then?
It's about average for standard cable-provided broadband. The SpeedTest app measures the speed between a server on the Pubilc Internet and your router's WAN port, through your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

The 150Mbps is only the (driver-reported) speed between your computer and the router itself (or to another device connected to the router).

Shidoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
xArunOwnsz
Martial Artist
ANBU Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidoshi View Post
It's about average for standard cable-provided broadband. The SpeedTest app measures the speed between a server on the Pubilc Internet and your router's WAN port, through your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

The 150Mbps is only the (driver-reported) speed between your computer and the router itself (or to another device connected to the router).
Oh right thanks that makes a lot more sense
This can be locked and trashed now, sorry lads + ladies!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
keiranval
Banned
Academy Student

keiranval is on a distinguished road

The Internet speed is determined by 2 components: the download rate and the upload rate of data which are usually measured in Kilobits per second. The download speed is the most important because we usually transfer files from Internet to our computer, but there are cases when we need a high upload speed.

keiranval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
martryn
Dick in hand

martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!martryn broke through Heaven - Who the hell do you think he is?!
Send a message via MSN to martryn

Ok, here's some bullshit:
Fucking Cox Communications (hee hee, cocks) says that with it's Premier service you can have download speeds up to fucking 35 mbps. My wife's two laptops wirelessly, and my desktop, plugged into the router, all pick up around 5 or 6 mgps. Are we getting our asses raped or what? We pay $70/month for this shit.

martryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
Eight
Rookie

Eight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdomEight is a bearer of wisdom

I've rarely ever understood why something is advertised as say 28mb connection when actual download speeds = about 19mb/s or what I have now (don't laugh) 1mb connection when actual max download speed is 320k/bs lol.

I've been meaning to read up on this, but I'm actually not THAT interested haha. I guess I'll try it out tonight.

@martryn, wifi has always been horrible lol, that's a shame man. Maybe it's your building or your hardware, OR they could just be ripping you off, haha. It took a lot of calls to Telus to tell them that we weren't getting our speeds, they came to our building , and did "whatever" and we were hitting our target speeds after that.

Eight is offline   Reply With Quote