Crest of the Stars - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Akihabara District > Anime Channel

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
~Shin~
Spectacular Insanity
Hokage

~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant
Default Crest of the Stars

Searched and didn't find a thread so.....

Quote:
Based on a sci-fi novel series, Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monsho) is the first installment in this sci-fi saga. The story follows Jinto, a young prince, whose world was taken over by the largest Empire in the Galaxy: The Abh. Jinto's father handed their world over to the Abh in exchange for a standing in the Abh Empire. As a result, Jinto became a prince and was shipped off for an Abh Education. Later he meets a princess of the Abh Empire, Lafiel, whom he quickly befriends despite her cold exterior. The Abh empire is plunged into war and the story continues from there...
Genre: Space opera

There are 13 episodes. There's a sequel called Banner of the Stars (13 episodes) and Banner of the Stars II (10 episodes) and Banner of the Stars III (OVA)

I finished this a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed watching it. It's not some masterpiece or anything but it was really well done. It basically revolves around Lafiel and Jinto (their adventures, interaction etc..). I thought it was very entertaining though it's a bit old school.

You can get all the episodes of Crest of the Stars here.

~Shin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

Wesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is Ascendant

I'm almost finished with the first series. I love the space combat, since there's a real method to it, and I like how much detail is paid to the universe in which the story takes place, including original concepts and languages. I almost deleted the series after hearing what I first thought was a German Dub!

Lafiel and Jinto are a good pair. Lafiel inparticular does the Space Opera Princess Arch-type proud. The infrequency of her smiles make each one all the more devastating and the context in which they are given all the more meaningful and dramatic.

Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
~Shin~
Spectacular Insanity
Hokage

~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant~Shin~ is Ascendant

^Yeah it's pretty interesting that the author created an entirely different language for the series. And the space battles were good too. I'm glad it wasn't just random shooting of lasers or missiles. Also glad to see some casualties once in a while.

And agreed on Lafiel. She's one of the highlights of the show IMO. I love her personality. It's hard to find much strong women in anime these days. Though one of the best points about her is that she's not only strong willed but she also has an innocent side to her. I'm hoping there's more Lafiel/Jinto interaction in Banner of the Stars.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Prince Leon
Still in Love with you Tomoe
God of Shinobi

Prince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is ElysianPrince Leon is Elysian
Send a message via AIM to Prince Leon Send a message via MSN to Prince Leon

Ah~, this is a lovely series. I remember when I first watched it way back when it debuted on the awesome TechTV channel.

Prince Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Stalin
Banned
Legendary Ninja

Stalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is CelestialStalin is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Leon View Post
Ah~, this is a lovely series. I remember when I first watched it way back when it debuted on the awesome TechTV channel.
I miss g4techtv.

Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

Wesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is AscendantWesley is Ascendant

Not to mention that Lafiel is freakin' hot. I don't really understand how, but the way she wears her uniform it's like it's both loose and tight fitting at the same time.

I'm not sure what to expect from Banner of the Stars. I'd like to get some United Mankind perspective myself. We've gotten some great characterization of the Abe and the way they think, which is really important since they're fairly alien in their manner, but it also makes them too likeable and by extension the "good guys" of the series, even though the tight-fisted monopoly they hold on space is a real justification for conflict.

Doesn't help that the Alliance is using some pretty outlandish propaganda pieces and dishonest political tricks to justify the war. Ah well. I'm sure we'll see some "cool" Terran characters at some point, without them having romantic notions regarding the Abhe. Real "Time to kickass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum" types. Terrans that are in it to win and for reasons that aren't about how unlikeable the Abhe are.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

I love Jinto and Lafiel and all, but I'm not really sure I want to spend the entire series seeing the Abhe kickass.

I'm getting a little fed up with them.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Arilou
Viking Ninja
ANBU Captain

Arilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truthArilou is an honorable bastion of truth
Send a message via MSN to Arilou

One of my favourite series.

Arilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Code
Zoamelgustar
#narutofan crew > you

Code is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is TranscendentCode is Transcendent

It's also one of my favorite series, first cuaght it when TechTV had it's Anime Unleashed block. One of the few series (that includes BOTS and BOTS II) that I've rewatched quite a few times, last time going through the three was just a few weeks ago and I'm just about to start on the first novel soon.

One of the strongest points was the depth of the world and the character interactions. It also had a pretty good cast (though CotS had less focus on other characters aside from Lafiel and Jinto relative to the other series.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I'm not sure what to expect from Banner of the Stars. I'd like to get some United Mankind perspective myself. We've gotten some great characterization of the Abe and the way they think, which is really important since they're fairly alien in their manner, but it also makes them too likeable and by extension the "good guys" of the series, even though the tight-fisted monopoly they hold on space is a real justification for conflict.
Spoiler:

That was one of things I would've liked to see more in the series. Banner of the Stars has an even greater spotlight on the Abh than Crest of the Stars did (as that at least had a good portion of the series on terran-controlled Safugnoff). Though Banner of the Stars II focuses on how Jinto deals with a former terrirtory of the United Mankind. So there's far less of a focus on the Abhs (though how their customs contrasts with those of territory is an important point) and space in general.

Though I've never seen the Abh has being potrayed as the "good" guys save for the fact that the Four Nations Alliance were the ones that started the conflict. Though that's countered by other things on the Abh side.

Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

Making the Alliance essentionally faceless, except for the odd self-serving politician or crazy military officer doesn't bode well for them. The Abh get lots of likeable characters, Terrans among them!, and are so very professional, yet so carefree when they don't have to be.

Not that the Alliance conducts itself badly, but the PR campaigns against the Abh and the unflattering rehtoric of it's politicians puts them in a bad light. It feels like it's already a foregone conclusion that the Abh are going to win, that they are right, and that somehow the war'd been planned by them all along.

Banner II sounds insanely boring. Nothing against Jinto, but him being emo or even stoic in the face of a rebellious population doesn't sound very interesting.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
Raistlin-sama
Have you been naughty or nice?
Examiner

Raistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faithRaistlin-sama is a guardian of the faith

Crest/banner of the stars is definitely one of my favorite sci-fi anime series. Although I do admit to having a weakness for space opera, so I may be a bit biased. :p

It avoids many of the annoying anime cliches, it has very likable characters and the plot keeps interesting all the way through. Not only that, but battles are fleet-based and strategic/tactical, something which I'd like to see in a lot more anime, instead of the "one mecha owns it all" thing that is often going on. I like the way in which the character interaction moves the story forward and of course and the concept of the Abhs in itself is right up my alley. Awesome race (and aesthetically pleasing too :p).

Lafiel is most likely on of my favorite characters as well, although admiral spoohr is the coolest character of the series.

And now for some shameless promotion, if you like Crest/banner of the Stars, do yourself a favor and go watch legend of galactic Heroes. The two have quite an amount of similarities, although they are also very different (such as an equal amount of time to characters on both sides of the war).

Last edited by Raistlin-sama; 04-28-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Raistlin-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
~Shin~
Spectacular Insanity
Hokage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Banner II sounds insanely boring. Nothing against Jinto, but him being emo or even stoic in the face of a rebellious population doesn't sound very interesting.
That's not even what it's about but considering your tastes, you're better off not watching Banner of the Stars at all.

That being said, I just finished the entire series a few hours ago. Needless to say, I found it highly enjoyable. I personally felt that it got progressively better. The plot itself is fairly similar in all cases but I loved the way how it proceeded. Especially how they use witty dialogue to get a message out. Also the author did a good job of making sure to not just portray one side as "just" while the other side as "evil". Which is a pretty hard thing to do IMO.

Notably the characters were especially likable. Lafiel and Admiral Spoohr in particular were awesome. I also liked how the characters changed and interacted from the beginning to the end. And they did a good job of wrapping that up in Banner of the Stars III.

The only thing I disliked about this anime was the repeated use of some frames (especially in Crest and Banner I, though it got better in Banner II & III). Music was also nothing to write home about. Other than that, I really enjoyed this anime.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

I've already begun. I'm about half way through and watch it off and on, but I might just delete the rest of the series at this rate. I'm getting really fed up with the Abh, as this guy justifies.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
~Shin~
Spectacular Insanity
Hokage

The only thing that I'll comment on is this:

Quote:
but it's not alright when the next half of the series focuses on the Abh showing the righteousness of their ways and kicking ass
I don't know what he's talking about but the Abh are never portrayed as a self-righteous race that believes their way of living is the best. They even go so far as to not even interfere with the life on the surface world.

And I don't really know when the Abh were "kicking ass". Since it was far from a one-sided massacre. Both sides had heavy casualties (if I remember correctly, both sides lost many fleets).

And it's not even as if the Abh even started the war.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Goodfellow
Legendary Ninja

Goodfellow has disabled reputation

Duly noted. I'll give it a try tomorrow

Goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
Wesley
Guess who it is!?
Final Villain

Yes, they did. The Abh believed and publicly declared space as theirs and theirs alone to govern. They would conquer all of humanity, including everyone in the alliance, just as soon as they were able to. That was their intention, it wasn't a secret, and there was no doubt they were going to strike as soon as they were able.

The alliance decided to strike first and attempted to stop the fight before it even started. They made up some story about being attacked first to justify it and so they could at least appear to themselves to have the moral highground, something that was meaningless to the Abh, but to those at home would matter.

Negotiating with the Abh is utterly pointless as they're programmed drones doing the bidding of Mother Fortress. Whatever they say about "love" is simple denial. The only human act they ever committed in their entire history was destroying "Mother Fortress".

And of course the Abh were kicking ass. They always outperformed the Alliance, despite being outnumbered most of the time. And every chance they got they'd be noble, self-sacrificing, while never, ever surrendering.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #17
Dream
prince of lies
Administrator

Dream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermenschDream ist ein ▄bermensch

Finished watching Crest of the Stars a short while ago. It's easily amongst the most enjoyable animes that I've seen.

The highlight of the anime, for me, was the fantastic interaction between Lafiel and Jinto. At times the interaction between the two is amusing and at other times it's heartwarming. While I feel that Jinto fell for her a bit too quickly I'm glad that it seems that Lafiel will take her time in falling for Jinto along with declaring her love for him. It's going to be a delight to see their relationship grow. Besides those two, the rest of the cast had pretty strong characterizations and I'm looking forward to seeing some of them return in Banner of the Stars.

Also, the battles were fairly enjoyable to watch. Certainly better than many other space battles that I've seen.

Solid 8.5/10 from me.

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Revan21
Ecchi Sempai & Lucky Pervert
Jinchuuriki

Revan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is RapturousRevan21 is Rapturous

Damn! And I thought the next season is coming

Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
Eternal Dreamer
The Bored Lolmaster
S-Class Missing-nin

Eternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is CelestialEternal Dreamer is Celestial
Send a message via Skype™ to Eternal Dreamer

First time I hear about but it sounds interesting. Might check it later.

Eternal Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
PlacidSanity
Unknown
Jinchuuriki

PlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is RapturousPlacidSanity is Rapturous

Lol, interesting. When I saw this thread I was under the impression that the series was either getting a contiuation or reboot. Still, it's nice to know that there are fans of this series. I've enjoyed watching it when is was shown on Tech TV/G4 a while back. It had very enjoyable story from Crest to Banner, though I don't think the OVA's were ever shown. As I've said before, I'm very pleased that Tech TV's Anime Unleashed showed this series or I might have not been introduced to it.

PlacidSanity is offline   Reply With Quote