• Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Hidden Village of Art > Art 101 > Tutorials

Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Suzuku

Suzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultra
Send a message via MSN to Suzuku
Default How to Get VDub to Recognize .mkv and Other File Formats Without Re-Encoding Them

After helping Louchan out with a few problems she was having with making gifs, I realized that there are probably a lot of people who just run .mp4/mkv files through GUI encoders to produce .avi files to get VDub to recognize them. Videos come out in poor quality and thus the gifs that are made from them are also of poor quality, all after spending possibly hours just to wait for the encode to finish. This process is time consuming and tedious, and only gives you grain-y gifs to produce.

The goal of this thread is to help make the process of getting VDub to recognize your .mkv files not only faster and more streamlined, but also to allow you to produce .gifs that are of quality almost equal to the original file.

Fo examples of this, here are Louchan's gifs from before and after she followed this walk-through. Before is on the left, after is on the right.

Here are the 7 steps to do this.

Optional: Just to keep this walk-through simple, download Mawaru Penguindrum ep 1 from gg, if you haven't already (in which case shame on you, it's a FABULOUS show). Of course, you can use whatever file you want if you can keep up.

1. Download CCCP codec pack. The point of doing this is to make sure your computer set up is as close to mine as possible and that you don't have any settings out of wack or missing that will prevent VDub from recognizing your .avs file (more on that later).

2. Download the program avisynth. It's normally used for direct encoding (it's actually the program that fansubbers use), but for our purposes you don't have to worry about any of that. The program has no GUI so you won't see an icon or anything for it. It works in the background. Don't worry about that though, just know that it works.

3. Open up a .txt file using notepad.

4. Put this command in the .txt file: DirectShowSource("location of file")

For instance, my command would look like this: DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Suzuku\Downloads\Otaku\ Anime\Mawaru Penguindrum\[gg]_Mawaru_Penguindrum_-_01_[B8C345E7].mkv")

5. Now save and close the .txt file. Just to keep the process close to mine, name the file penguidrum.txt.

6. Convert the .txt into .avs. In case you don't know how to do this, just replace .txt with .avs in the file name, so the file should now be called penguindrum.avs. A warning will pop up saying "renaming file names could corrupt the file blahblahblah". Disregard it. The icon should now turn into a little paper with a filmstrip going over it, as opposed to the usual .txt icon.

7. Now, open VDub, go to 'open file' as you usually do, open the .avs you just made, and voila, after a bit of loading all the frames should show up on VDub without you having to actually convert it. From here you can just do what you normally do.

What avisynth does is fool programs like VDub into thinking files are .avi, so you don't have to waist time and quality converting files into different formats. Of course, it's a much more powerful program and can do a lot more amazing things with videos than what we're using it for here, but like I said, you need not worry about that unless you want to pick up learning how to encode in your spare time. Well, if you ever do want to learn how to encode, you'll have the foundation for it already set.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by Suzuku; 07-14-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Destin
Banned
Elite Teacher

Destin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is AscendantDestin is Ascendant

Another method I use to get VirtualDub to accept .mkv, .mp4, etc. is to download the "DShowInputDriver.vdplugin" file and paste it into the plugin folder of VirtualDub.

MediaFire

After that, I just open up VirtualDub, File, Open Video File, select the .mkv video or whatever and just open like usual. Now if for some reason it doesn't work, then you can always click on the "files of type" drop down arrow and select "DirectShow Input Driver", "type in "*.mkv" in the "file name" drop down box to show only the .mkv files and then select them that way. Though I think you should be able to open them like usual as I do.

You can even use VirtualDub to make APNGs like I use by getting VDubAPNGMod (it accepts the plugin as well), but that's another lesson.

Destin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Iron Man
Beyond The Stars

Iron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultraIron Man is the ne plus ultra

Honestly you'd most likely be better off getting Avidemux.

Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Suzuku

Suzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultraSuzuku is the ne plus ultra
Send a message via MSN to Suzuku

I use Adobe Media Encode now.

Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote