This convo can sleep for centuries, to wake when it's least expected. - Page 22 - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Konoha Mall > Reader's Corner

Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #421
Edward Cullen
Nosferatu

Edward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is EternalEdward Cullen is Eternal

Well, they were kids and IIRC, the Hobbit was a rather long book. Plus, fantasy isn't for everyone.

Edward Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #422
Tyrael
I prefer the term Dream Weaver
Legendary Ninja

Tyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is Transcendent

Ah, LD, how goes? It feels odd to return to this place after such a long time, as though I do not belong here. Not that that is anyway merited - looks little has changed.

Tyrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #423
Pacha Batofar

Pacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is Elysian

5 people post here once a month it seems

Pacha Batofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #424
Tyrael
Legendary Ninja

Tyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is TranscendentTyrael is Transcendent

Haha, so it is more or less the LD of old?

Anyone a fan of The Hunger Games? The movie is coming out soon, and not sure if I should read the book first.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #425
Pacha Batofar

Pacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is ElysianPacha Batofar is Elysian

My cousin is obsessed with it. I personally haven't read the book but because of all the hype my mind is telling me it must be twilight/harry potter-ish. Although, now that I think about it, it's a bit unfair to compare twilight to harry potter.

Pacha Batofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #426
Jena
E. Pluribus Anus
Jinchuuriki

Jena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
Haha, so it is more or less the LD of old?

Anyone a fan of The Hunger Games? The movie is coming out soon, and not sure if I should read the book first.
I have.
I really liked it. Is it Shakespeare? No. But it's entertaining.
I'd just go ahead and read it. It's pretty short. At first I didn't really like it but once it got into the action I got sucked into it.

More like Harry Potter than Twilight though, by far. Although I don't really think it's that similar to either...

Jena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #427
Dr. Boskov Krevorkian
Knight of the Abyss

Dr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cute
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Boskov Krevorkian

It's Battle Royal, but for Americans.

No, really.

Dr. Boskov Krevorkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #428
Jena
E. Pluribus Anus
Jinchuuriki

Jena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultraJena is the ne plus ultra

Premise is the same, stories are completely different.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #429
Tyrael
Legendary Ninja

If I got the gist of what BK was implying, is that it's the same concept and themes applied through the filter of a different culture?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #430
Dream Brother
Doesn't want a Custom Title
Jinchuuriki

Dream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareilDream Brother est le sans pareil

I've also been wondering about The Hunger Games. Seems to be mentioned everywhere at the moment.

Dream Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #431
Jena
E. Pluribus Anus
Jinchuuriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
If I got the gist of what BK was implying, is that it's the same concept and themes applied through the filter of a different culture?
I don't know if that's what BK was implying (I think s/he was pointing out that the two stories look pretty much identical when you look at them from a broad perspective, although having read THG and seen the Battle Royale movie I personally don't think that they're the same at all outside of that initial setup) but THG is definitely not Battle Royale through a different cultural lens.

I think Battle Royale is much more political and makes much more of a statement than Hunger Games does (or tries to). Battle Royale's main goal isn't to entertain but to warn, whereas I feel like THG is the exact opposite.

This guy explains it pretty well.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and nobody knows if Suzanne Collins actually did "draw inspiration" from Battle Royale or not (she claims that the idea is a combination of the legend of Theseus and her flipping through the channels one day and accidentally splicing footage of the Iraq war against a game show) but I do think that they're quite different.

I'm actually reading Battle Royale right now but I'm not very far into it yet. To randomly switch gears...does anyone know if there are multiple published versions of the English translation? I'm reading the copy that my library happened to have and the translation feels really...choppy. I know that Japanse to English is really hard to make, but it reads like a literal translation of the words and is kind of hard to understand. Just wondering if anyone else here encountered that problem or if it's just the version I happen to have.

Also I'm glad this thread is active again I haven't been here in a while.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #432
Parallax
Feel Happiness

Parallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultraParallax is the ne plus ultra
Send a message via Skype™ to Parallax

which version do you have?

I have the Viz original one and uh the dialogue is a bit choppy but that may have been the way the book was written. But it still read fine and I was never confused. The non dialogue parts were superior.

Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #433
Tyrael
Legendary Ninja

Apparently you can get the whole trilogy for £4.99. Totally tempted.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #434
Dr. Boskov Krevorkian
Knight of the Abyss

Dr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cuteDr. Boskov Krevorkian is pretty cute
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Boskov Krevorkian

I was mostly taking a piss.

The demographic seems slightly different between the two, as well. I don't think Battle Royal, with a lot of its subtext, is quite within YA but that's just me. Still haven't read Hunger Games yet, but working in a used bookstore I see them all the time--I'll just wait until it's cheap like everything else.

Dr. Boskov Krevorkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #435
Jena
E. Pluribus Anus
Jinchuuriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
which version do you have?

I have the Viz original one and uh the dialogue is a bit choppy but that may have been the way the book was written. But it still read fine and I was never confused. The non dialogue parts were superior.
It might be the Viz version. I don't have my copy with me so I can't check, but the cover looks like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boskov Krevorkian View Post
I don't think Battle Royal, with a lot of its subtext, is quite within YA but that's just me.
No, it's not just you. I definitely don't think it's YA. The main characters are teenagers but I don't think the book/movie is targeted toward teenagers.

Or at least I hope not. I think it's too fucked up to YA.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #436
Tyrael
Legendary Ninja

Or at least too obviously fucked up. When you're targeting youngsters, the horrible darkness needs to be conveyed through implication more often.

Speaking of which, Dan Wells' I Am Not a Serial Killer is fantastic YA. Very much worth checking out.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #437
Terra Branford
Sasuke the Pimp
Hokage

Terra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareilTerra Branford est le sans pareil

I decided to give the Harry Potter books a try after I watched all the movies the other day. I'm on the first book, Sorcerer's Stone (though I've heard people calling it Philosopher's Stone...) and am on page 157. It is indeed a child's book (not saying that is bad), but I'm hoping it gets funny at least (particularly with Fred and George).

Still reading the Hunger Games, too. I like it, but I'm not that far into it. I've also have been reading the Kefka book, but very slowly I might add. I also want to give Battle Royal a shot, but studying has gotten in the way a lot. So many books....so little time!

Last edited by Terra Branford; 03-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Terra Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #438
masamune1
Crouching Tiger
Hokage

masamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysian

Philosophers Stone is its British name (ie. its real name). Don't know why America changed it.

masamune1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #439
Tyrael
Legendary Ninja

It's not even as if Rowling invented the concept either - the philosopher's stone is a reference to a specific mythological item. I mean, why not rename the basilisk too if you're going down that path?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #440
Jena
E. Pluribus Anus
Jinchuuriki

That still pisses me off.

Maybe I was just a freak, but I knew what the philosopher's stone was when I was 8, and I'm American. It's in a lot of classic stories.