What makes One Piece so good and popular? - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > One Piece Avenue > One Piece Harbour

Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Naruto-The-Great
Doesn't want a Custom Title
ANBU Recruit

Naruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hope
Zetsu What makes One Piece so good and popular?

I was talking with my friend about animes and mangas. And she said she likes One piece the most. Ever since I saw a couple episodes of dubbed One Piece I always thought it was extremely stupid. But my friend always watched Naruto, all of the anime and manga chapters. Naruto is second best to her.

Anyways. What makes One Piece so good and popular? What makes it so it can compete with Naruto as an arguably as good or better of a show?

Last edited by Naruto-The-Great; 04-05-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Naruto-The-Great is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
mastercilander
Unique Title
Jinchuuriki

mastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestialmastercilander is Celestial
Send a message via AIM to mastercilander

For me, it is because the characters develop like RPG characters. Their growth is gradual, but it is noticeable over time.

mastercilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Naruto-The-Great
ANBU Recruit

Naruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hopeNaruto-The-Great is a paragon of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercilander View Post
For me, it is because the characters develop like RPG characters. Their growth is gradual, but it is noticeable over time.
But thats not enough to make it anywhere near Naruto's greatness. What makes it so it can compete with Naruto as an arguably as good or better of a show?

Naruto-The-Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Newbologist
̣

Newbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareilNewbologist est le sans pareil

i like it because of the unpredictability of it, like for example duval, who could ever have guessed about him? also the storyline isnt reptitive like in naruto where all they seem to do is chase sasuke. In One Piece new enemies are constantly introduced and EVERY main character gets a chance to shine unlike other mangas where only a select few ever get the spotlight.

Newbologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
TargaryenX
Number 6
Special Jounin

TargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is Luminary

Lets see, compared to Naruto, One Piece has much better characters, a better plot, better comedy, hell it even has better fillers. The one thing Naruto does better is action scenes, but Naruto's fights are freaking amazing, so that's not really a strike against OP. I'll echo what everyone is going to tell you, don't judge it by the english version, it's one of the worst hack-jobs that's ever been called a dub. Go download the batch torrents from kaizoku fansubs, if you don't like it by episode 50 or so, you won't like it, but if you like other shounen, I think you'll probably be hooked.

TargaryenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
mykillbrian
Level: Insane
Chuunin

mykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdommykillbrian is a bearer of wisdom

here is my analysis:

Naruto is a more serious than One Piece that's why SOME people think OP is stupid. Im not saying OP is not serious though, there are also dramatic(sentimental) moments in OP too. On the other side, Naruto's comedy SUCKED big time. Most of its comedy focuses on pervertedness or naruto's stupidity.

In anime, most of 20+ mins. in Naruto is wasted in flashbacks and those f*cking DRAMATIC PAUSES while in naruto they spend most of the time in comedy. Its normal to waste some mins. there coz they have to maximize what happens in manga for that much time.

One of OP appeal also is it's like an RPG. it started out as luffy alone then he games more nakama while also leveling up gaining new powers and technique. Naruto on the other hand, its appeal right now is just knowing the mysteries of the akatsuki and rescuing sasuke w/c is getting old by now.

Its just my opinion, i'm open for any correction.

mykillbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
Eldritch
get mad @ my poor tastes, nerd
S-Class Missing-nin

Eldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is Celestial

Of course you think one piece is stupid. You watched the dub.

Naruto's characters are too sterotypical, and lack of feel and relation. Sasuke - classic emo boy. Naruto classic carefree boy that later turned emo. Lee the classic nerd. Sakura the classic damsel in distress. And so on. And one thing I hate about Naruto, is that it's always him teaching lessons and bull. It's always Naruto's right your wrong kind of shit.

Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
StrawHat4Life

StrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareilStrawHat4Life est le sans pareil
Send a message via MSN to StrawHat4Life

Op is a truly epic story set in a huge world with amazing characters and diverse locations. Naruto is more personal and doesn't necessarily concern itself with what's going on in the larger world of its story. I still enjoy Naruto but it has lost its ability to surprise me storywise but with OP I never know whats going to happen next.

StrawHat4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Travis Touchdown
The Crownless King
Kage

Travis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaryenX View Post
Lets see, compared to Naruto, One Piece has much better characters, a better plot, better comedy, hell it even has better fillers. The one thing Naruto does better is action scenes, but Naruto's fights are freaking amazing, so that's not really a strike against OP. I'll echo what everyone is going to tell you, don't judge it by the english version, it's one of the worst hack-jobs that's ever been called a dub. Go download the batch torrents from kaizoku fansubs, if you don't like it by episode 50 or so, you won't like it, but if you like other shounen, I think you'll probably be hooked
I have to disagree with this, many of the fights are people using the same moves over and over again (Kage bushin/ Rasengen) but there are some good fights like my favorites are Shikamaru's. One Piece fights interest me a thousand times more then Naruto fights could ever.

Travis Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Dead Bones Musician

What One Piece does best: good progress in its story telling. Unlike Naruto, it accomplishes a lot in each chapter and I think that's one of One Piece's best qualities.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Astaroth
ど~~ん!

Astaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is Ascendant

Yup. There are no pointless chapters, or fights with retarded endings, or one-dimensional protagonists. That's my opinion anyway.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Girl, I don't care
swagger bitch
S-Class Missing-nin

Girl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is LuminaryGirl, I don't care is Luminary

naruto manga i enjoy more, but anime wise one piece is just much better and is also deeper than most people thinks, it deals with issues such as decadence within a society, utopian thinking and status quo etc, whereas naruto is just about naruto chasing after a gay homo that he could never catch. plus yelling gaara's name every five minutes during the anime didn'y really help either.

Girl, I don't care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
zagman505
Shakou, Hitsuki!
Jounin

zagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminaryzagman505 is Luminary
Send a message via MSN to zagman505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-The-Great
I was talking with my friend about animes and mangas. And she said she likes One piece the most. Ever since I saw a couple episodes of dubbed One Piece I always thought it was extremely stupid. But my friend always watched Naruto, all of the anime and manga chapters. Naruto is second best to her.

Anyways. What makes One Piece so good and popular? What makes it so it can compete with Naruto as an arguably as good or better of a show?
Quote:
Ever since I saw a couple episodes of dubbed One Piece I always thought it was extremely stupid.
Quote:
a couple episodes of dubbed One Piece
Quote:
dubbed One Piece
Quote:
dub

honestly, i'm not surprised that you have a bad opinion of one piece since you watched the dub. however, as a manga addict who STARTED with naruto and eventually moved on to many many more series (i read or have read some 40 or 50 series now) and who still thinks that one piece is one of the best series ever, i can understand how your friend feels.

why is one piece better than naruto? for one, all emotions in one piece are done far better than in naruto. one piece has been able to make me laugh out loud because the humor in one piece is actually funny (and yes oftentimes stupid too) whereas the humor in naruto is usually lame or not done very well (there have been some good funny moments though). the emotional moments in one piece have all been able to at the very least send shivers down my spine, without fail. tears have come to my eye and i actually cried during one of the emotional scenes in one piece. in naruto... i can't even remember any specific scene where i felt shivers down my spine, although i suppose it's happened at least once or twice.

people say that naruto is more serious than one piece, but the only way that's possible is because people actually die in naruto. otherwise, the topics dealt with in one piece are almost all more serious, or if not more serious then much broader in scale. in naruto, it's almost all dealing with personal problems, with the exception of the few situations where it talked about relations between countries and of course with the stereotypical organization pursuing world domination. aside from that though, it's all about the angst everybody has because they're a jinchuuriki or because their brother killed the whole clan or whatever (i'm not saying that it's bad, it can be good in some parts). in one piece... you have situations like trying to save a country from a person that most people believe to be the country's savior. stopping a crazy god. trying to rescue your nakama, even though you know that you become enemies of the world by doing so. at the very least, it makes for a more epic story.

speaking of nakama, one piece does have the incredibly important theme of friendship and 'nakama' pervading throughout the whole series. it creates such a huge bond between the straw hats, and also adds to the emotional scenes, etc. in naruto, that's only ever hinted at in the relationship between naruto and sasuke. there isn't really such a central theme in naruto. also, in one piece luffy is constantly progressing towards his final goal of becoming the pirate king. naruto hasn't even mentioned becoming hokage since he said he would go rescue gaara. instead, naruto has become almost completely based around the whole 'save sasuke' thing.

another reason why one piece is better. all of the main characters receive major growth, and all main characters have their time to shine. every single member of the straw hat crew has had immense development, whereas in naruto the only characters that have really had any major development are team 7, shikamaru, and gaara. it can be argued that one piece doesn't develop anyone aside from the straw hats because they all get left behind at such and such island, but while we're with those characters (like vivi and waipa), they get major development, and one piece actually has a reason to leave the characters behind because the straw hats must keep traveling (and they eventually show up again), whereas in naruto we haven't seen the shinobi of the sand in ages and there's no good reason as to why we don't see them.

oh, and the main characters in one piece are actually all likable (eventually). i like every single member of the straw hat crew, some more than others, but they are all awesome characters. in naruto, my favorite characters are either dead (like kimimaro, sasori, and jiraiya) or haven't been shown in ages (like gaara, kankurou, and lee). naruto has not impressed me as a character since part 1, while sakura hasn't been interesting to me since the sasori fight. sasuke was more interesting while he was fighting itachi, but that fight ended up with the most anticlimatic end ever and went from being one of the potentially greatest fights to one of the lamest. kakashi is cool though, but he's not enough to save the rest of the characters.

finally, one piece has amazing fights. unlike in naruto where it seems that all naruto knows how to use is kage bunshin and rasengan (ok i'm exaggerating a bit, there are quite a few awesome fights in naruto too), almost every fight in one piece has a new technique or strange twist, etc. that makes it funnier, or more epic, or whatever. this is also helped by the fact that there are no training arcs in one piece, so we don't waste time seeing the main characters train for something that we know they'll get in the end anyway, and it allows for the main characters to just pull out new techniques (they usually never pull out more than one per fight though) without any need for explanation (which can be a good thing or a bad thing to some people).

not as important, but one piece also has the surprise factor, most clearly shown in the latest chapters with duval. naruto has never truly surprised me, and the few surprises have been more like, "wtf?" rather than "WHOA".

however, one piece is not perfect. i know lots of people have problems with its art (i don't), but one thing that i think really is a problem in one piece is that nobody dies except in flashbacks. some people were given pretty amazing deaths, yet they somehow survive... and also, some of the villain's character designs simply suck. however, the sucky villain designs are all found in the minor characters that have absolutely no importance, and every major villain has a pretty awesome design. however, these two things are the only problems that i have with one piece overall, and they're not even very big issues.

sorry for the massive reply, i get worked up when talking about this

Last edited by zagman505; 04-06-2008 at 01:48 AM.
zagman505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
Astaroth
ど~~ん!

Astaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is AscendantAstaroth is Ascendant

I get the feeling this section would be a LOT busier were it not for the 4Kids dub rape.
Quote:
sorry for the massive reply, i get worked up when talking about this
I can tell. But I understand.
For more evidence on why the characters in OP are awesome, see my haikus.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #15
Eldritch
get mad @ my poor tastes, nerd
S-Class Missing-nin

Eldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is CelestialEldritch is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAWB View Post
What One Piece does best: good progress in its story telling. Unlike Naruto, it accomplishes a lot in each chapter and I think that's one of One Piece's best qualities.
I disagree. Sasuke Itachi fight aside, chapters are consistant. (whether you like the content or not is an opinion) Some OP chapters sometimes make me go what the hell.

Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #16
Random Nobody
Alien Fighting
Jinchuuriki

Random Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is AscendantRandom Nobody is Ascendant

The Art Style (it grows on you), the characters, the ability to not take itself too seriously, and the ability to be deep and emotional when it does take itself seriously. Oh and the fights, I really love the fights. Even the obvious PNJ ones are pretty entertaining, even if your lulzing a bit well reading them.

But honestly if your thinking about checking out One Piece I can make only one suggestion. Start from the beginning (anime or mange, but if your going with anime I'd suggest finding some subs as the good uncut dub DVDs aren't out yet) and at least read/watch up to Arlong Park.

Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #17
TargaryenX
Number 6
Special Jounin

TargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is LuminaryTargaryenX is Luminary

Quote:
however, one piece is not perfect. i know lots of people have problems with its art (i don't), but one thing that i think really is a problem in one piece is that nobody dies except in flashbacks. some people were given pretty amazing deaths, yet they somehow survive...
Yeah, I noticed this too. But people do die, it's just that they're all extras.

For Example:
All the people that got crushed by that ship in arabasta, all the angels that got hit by the raigou, the carpenters that CP9 killed in water 7, etc.

Oda doesn't have a problem killing people, but I get the feeling that he's a bit too attached to his characters.

Edit: Another fun thing about one piece is that you get to see the characters' effect on the world around them. Like after they do something outrageous, their bounties go up and they build their reputation.

Last edited by TargaryenX; 04-06-2008 at 02:37 AM.
TargaryenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Shoddragon
Hokage

Shoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is CelestialShoddragon is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba Inuzuka View Post
I have to disagree with this, many of the fights are people using the same moves over and over again (Kage bushin/ Rasengen) but there are some good fights like my favorites are Shikamaru's. One Piece fights interest me a thousand times more then Naruto fights could ever.
kage bunshin and rasengan tactics occured in the fillers. he only used it like TWICE pre skip. rasengan was his best move so yea, what you expect.

although a gomu gomu no jet gatling gun was at least for me, more interesting than hurting kabuto with a rasengan.

Shoddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #19
Broleta

Broleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is LuminaryBroleta is Luminary

LOL @ "naruto's greatness". Naruto is a poor man's series with most of the good stuff being of a typical shounen or ripped from another series (Hunter X Hunter).

One Piece follows typical shounen formula to such an extreme degreee its original in a way. Unique art with brilliant landscapes, the best humour I've ever seen, badass villians, a variety of captivating story arcs (not the same old shit over and over ie Naruto wanting to have sex with Sasuke) etc make One Piece so popular. Infact, a volume of One Piece holds the record for the highest selling graphic novel ever in Japan.

Also, the 4kids One Piece dub is a total hackjob and does not even tell the same story as the original.

Broleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
Travis Touchdown
The Crownless King
Kage

Travis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is CelestialTravis Touchdown is Celestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoddragon View Post
kage bunshin and rasengan tactics occured in the fillers. he only used it like TWICE pre skip. rasengan was his best move so yea, what you expect.
Well he only learned Rasengen in like the 2nd to last arc of Part 1, and I really have nothing against Part 1, I think it pretty good. However, Part two sucks ass.

Travis Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote