Is Corporate Greed Killing America? - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Downtown Konoha > The NF Café > Debate Corner
View Poll Results: Well, is it?
yes 28 73.68%
no 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Haze is Dreamin'
Banned
Elite Jounin

Haze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is CelestialHaze is Dreamin' is Celestial
Send a message via MSN to Haze is Dreamin'
Default Is Corporate Greed Killing America?

Yes or no

Haze is Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Xion
終わり
Final Villain

Xion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareil

If by America you mean the plutocracy, then no.

If by America you mean the poor and lower middle class, then possibly.

Though Walmart does give extremely low cost goods to the consumer and they make a fortune doing it, the same with Google and Amazon.

The telecommunications, drug, and oil companies can shove it though! (unless I end up heading one in which case $$$$$$$$$_________$$$$$$$$ )

Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Sexta Espada
Kylahullu
S-Class Missing-nin

Sexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faith
Send a message via AIM to Sexta Espada Send a message via MSN to Sexta Espada

Definitely. Hell, you can't even run for a major office anymore without a corporation's support.

Sexta Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
Sub-Zero
GB's Lin Kuei Master
S-Class Missing-nin

Sub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is LuminarySub-Zero is Luminary
Send a message via AIM to Sub-Zero Send a message via MSN to Sub-Zero

Maybe

No, it definitely is killing America. It's corrupting the election process (how much more corrupt can it get?) and the judicial process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Xion II View Post
Though Walmart does give extremely low cost goods to the consumer and they make a fortune doing it, the same with Google and Amazon.
Wal-Mart is a drain on the economy.

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
Sexta Espada
Kylahullu
S-Class Missing-nin

Sexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faithSexta Espada is a guardian of the faith

Wal-Mart gives low prices at the cost of American jobs. It hurts the economy way more than it helps.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Xion
終わり
Final Villain

Xion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareilXion est le sans pareil

Well I guess I am kind of biased being in business school and all.

But that also means I know more about business and the economy than all of you.

Or at least I should.

Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Sexta Espada
Kylahullu
S-Class Missing-nin

Well, Wal-Mart makes money for itself. Unfortuneately, it doesn't help the economy much otherwise.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Rattan
High Quality Wood
Chuunin

Rattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant futureRattan has a brilliant future

I'd say so. With outsourcing and downsizing, and not to mention profiting off the cheaper labor of illegal immigrants. Some of these companies are just a blight for average citizens.

Rattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
AbnormallyNormal
1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3
God of Shinobi

AbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is AscendantAbnormallyNormal is Ascendant
Send a message via AIM to AbnormallyNormal

no, i think corporate greed built the USA and is the driving force behind the USA's superpower status

AbnormallyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
T4R0K
Searching for a custom title
Jinchuuriki

T4R0K has disabled reputation

After reading Stiglitz, I can only say "Yes".

T4R0K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Saufsoldat
POOP TRAIN CONDUCTOR
God of Shinobi

Saufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareilSaufsoldat est le sans pareil

Yes. Duh

Saufsoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Horu
Immomentarily black

Horu is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is Luminary
Send a message via AIM to Horu

This ship isn't sinking; it's already a submarine.

(Yes.)

Horu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
drache
who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?
Hokage

drache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysiandrache is Elysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horu View Post
This ship isn't sinking; it's already a submarine.
I wouldn't go that far but greed is the major flaw of capitalism. And it clearly shows up in America.

drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
DragonHeart52
Cooler by the Lake
Examiner

DragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is AscendantDragonHeart52 is Ascendant
Send a message via AIM to DragonHeart52

Corporate greed is killing the world with the advent of globalization. We outsource jobs to areas of cheap labor and pollute their environment instead of our own (since our laws are stricter). Same thing with laborer's rights. Then the products are brought back to this country to be sold to a populace who can no longer afford them because their former jobs have been relocated overseas. European nations make some attempt to protect their citizens, but they are inherently more "social oriented" since most of those countries also have a national health plan that provides at the very least primary health care.

The balancing act will be difficult. We have great technology break-throughs (such as mag-lev) that aren't followed up because a corporation's fear of change and elimination of their market (car manufacturers, railroads (although not so powerful anymore!!), oil companies, etc) and then again, big pharmaceutical companies gouge the public for huge profits by lobbying for laws to protect the abnormally high prices they charge that are unique to this country. In the meantime, their greed is killing their marketplace. Not real far-sighted, are they.
Quote:
Well I guess I am kind of biased being in business school and all.

But that also means I know more about business and the economy than all of you.
Theory, maybe, but not necessarily reality. Reality is never as pure as theory. Plus, with the number of members on this forum, do you really think you are that unique?

DragonHeart52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki
アルかわいい
Kage

Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is TranscendentKojiro Ganryu Sasaki is Transcendent

Greed is not a flaw. It is an asset. Extreme greed, on the other hand, is very dangerous.

Greed in moderation leeds to progress, but in extreme it leads to conservatism and stagnation.

Anyway. A corporation is a necessary parasite. It provides, but it also takes. The problem with corporations is that they stand above national borders in a way that humans do not do. They have the money and the power to basically do whatever.

As an example i will use a fictional corporation called X-Corp. If X-Corp needs cheap labour for producion they can move their production to a country with low wages and there produce whatever they need and sell wherever they want. Globalisation. They find the cheapest place to get what they want, and then they sell that product elsewhere.

On the other hand. I'm sitting here with a DVD. And for some reason, this DVD wouldn't play on a DVD player in the US (i'm in Sweden). This means that while there are a crapload of legal (non-bootleg) DVDs produced in China etc i can't actually go there to buy cheap movies, or order from there. There's a barrier in the way called Region Coding.

The "official" reason for the existance of RC is to allow the movie companies to coordinate movie releases so they can focus marketing on one region at a time.

But maybe not without intention, the region coding also prevents YOU and ME from utilizing globalisation for your own ends. To make matters worse, there are LAWS against removing the region coding in many countries. Why do you think this is?

Because corporations want to rape low-wage countries to make cheap money, yet they don't want YOU to be able to pick where and for WHAT PRICE you buy your movies. They want globalisation for themselves because if you coud buy cheap as well, they'd lose their fat margins.

Arrrrgh.

Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
mislead
it's just Che Guevara
Jounin

mislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestialmislead is Celestial

Note one thing: It's not really the corporations who are greedy, but the stockholders who pressure them into maximizing profits. And nearly half of American households participate in the stock market. It's a downward spiral, really.

The most glaring example of a similar mechanism is Wal-Mart. Where do you think it's employees go shopping, with their laughably low wages? That's right, Wal-Mart, because it's the cheapest. And thus their own consumer choices validate their economic position.

I'm not even going to get started on the political campaign financing system...

mislead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
Seren
Bitch Slap of the Kage
Academy Teacher

Seren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hopeSeren is a paragon of hope
Send a message via AIM to Seren Send a message via Yahoo to Seren Send a message via Skype™ to Seren

Is it killing it? No, it hasn't gotten that far. Is it damaging it? Well, yes. Corporate greed tends to do that.

But it's the 'me first, me always' attitude that's slowly choking it to death- both America and the basic American dream. People are so focused on the 'me' aspect that they don't realise that working to create a better society helps them in return. Keeping Americans employed = more money going into the economy = things are better. And when employing overseas, giving them decent wages and holding good enviornmental standards not only helps the world as a whole, it makes you look like less of a douche.

Seren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
Denji
Noctis Lucis Caelum
Hokage

Denji has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Denji Send a message via MSN to Denji

Corporate greed isn't killing America, but it certainly isn't helping. If it keeps up for another decade or so, things will be worse off.

Denji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #19
Detonator_Fan
Suiseiseki is mai waifu
ANBU Captain

Detonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faithDetonator_Fan is a guardian of the faith

No.

I thought that regular americans had better education in economics than brazilians (being the world's richest country, having the better econ schools, etc). Well, I guess I was wrong.

Detonator_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #20
Horu
Immomentarily black

Horu is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is LuminaryHoru is Luminary
Send a message via AIM to Horu

Quote:
Originally Posted by drache View Post
I wouldn't go that far but greed is the major flaw of capitalism. And it clearly shows up in America.
Heh, well, to that extent, I wouldn't call the country anything other than a greed empire, or the greed capital of the world.

As for killing, I would even say yes, it literally is. Genetically modified foods now anybody? Do a little research on Monsanto corporation. Better yet, dig up the documentary "The Future Of Food", see what's being done (and done away with) in the name of more money.

Horu is offline   Reply With Quote