• Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Downtown Konoha > The NF Café > Philosophical Forum

Old 08-28-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
♥Body Buddy♥
DEIDARA FTW!
Special Jounin

♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope
Send a message via MSN to ♥Body Buddy♥
Exclamation Existentialism VS Solipsism

Okay. SWT;; I don't really want to present this as a debate but more as a discussion.. SO EVERYBODY HAVE AN OPEN MIND WHILE READING, OKAY~♥

What is Existentialism and Solipsism?

Basically Existentialism is more of a "Why am I here?" theory. You can control your own destiny. Thinking too much about philosophy might leave your looking into the box, not outside the box. So, you're just a small living organism placed into a vast universe. Why are you here? What is the meaning of life? Maybe someone is controlling us and monitering us? We don't know O_O;; (we maybe or may not find out, haha)
Here is a quote from wikipedia 8D

Quote:
Existentialism is a philosophical movement that is generally considered a study that pursues meaning in existence and seeks value for the existing individual. Existentialism, unlike other fields of philosophy, does not treat the individual as a concept, and values individual subjectivity over objectivity. As a result, questions regarding the meaning of life and subjective experience are seen as being of paramount importance, above all other scientific and philosophical pursuits.
Read More on Existentialism

Er.. Solipsism is more of a "everything is created by myself" Theory. So basically everything is in your mind, you're the only one existing. Creepy, though, plausable. The human mind is capable of doing these things, y'know? =o=;; Planning obstacles for ourselves inorder for self improvement. Sort of like the "involuntary" movements our body makes. We can't THINK our heart to stop breathing or THINK ourselves to stop breathing naturally (aka. no drugs, plz).
Here is a quote from The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Quote:
Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that "I am the only mind which exists," or "My mental states are the only mental states." However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, "existence" means for me my existence and that of my mental states. Existence is everything that I experience -- physical objects, other people, events and processes -- anything that would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the space and time in which I coexist with others and is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness.
Read more on Solipsism

it's kinda long.. so er.. i'll stop here SWT;; >u<

So, there are alot of controversy about this... er.. I wonder what you guys think 8D. Hopefully everyone will have some kind of paradigm shift after reading this. Food for thought, huh?~♥

I'm also sorry if there are any spelling mistakes @_@. It's kinda tiring typing all this Orz~

♥Body Buddy♥ is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Louis-954
http://www.kolektakon.com/
Hokage

Louis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareil
Send a message via MSN to Louis-954 Send a message via Skype™ to Louis-954

I am more of an Existenialism kind of guy. Solipism is kind of ignorant if you ask me. I wont lie I thought of myself as the latter up until i was 12 or so.....just seemed to selfish. I believe my destiny is controlled solely by me and i love to question things I dont know. Such as "Why am I here?" and "What is the meaning of life?" I dont think anyone is controlling or monitoring me/us, though I really cant prove that were not just on a set path by a superior being.

Hope that helps ^^ Great topic.

Louis-954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #3
♥Body Buddy♥
DEIDARA FTW!
Special Jounin

♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope♥Body Buddy♥ is a paragon of hope

XD I kinda feel both solipsism and existentialism can equally be true. Still, it's good to know about other people's thoughts on this sensitive topic. ^u^ It's kinda hard to prove to another person that they aren't real. On the other hand, nobody knows the "meaning of life" (oooh). And if anyone CLAIMS to know the meaning of life, I doubt anybody would accept it XD

*wishes more people will comment so I get their views on this*

Old 08-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
Louis-954
http://www.kolektakon.com/
Hokage

Louis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareilLouis-954 est le sans pareil
Send a message via MSN to Louis-954 Send a message via Skype™ to Louis-954

Quote:
XD I kinda feel both solipsism and existentialism can equally be true. Still, it's good to know about other people's thoughts on this sensitive topic. ^u^ It's kinda hard to prove to another person that they aren't real. On the other hand, nobody knows the "meaning of life" (oooh). And if anyone CLAIMS to know the meaning of life, I doubt anybody would accept it XD

*wishes more people will comment so I get their views on this*
Very true Star, I like your way of thinking. ^^

Louis-954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Vicious ♥
Comfortable Liar
Examiner

Vicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of lightVicious ♥ is a glorious beacon of light

Like I said before..

Free will determines your fate, do what you want, but never regret it.

There is no such thing as destiny, okay, let's say there is a higher being, and ''destiny'' exists, and that everything is going to happen as ''he/she/enter other gender here'' wishes, what is the point then? when it's already known to ''him/her/enter other gender here'' who goes to '' Hell/Heaven''

Vicious ♥ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
♥Body Buddy♥
DEIDARA FTW!
Special Jounin

Deidara

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroGaki2005
Like I said before..

Free will determines your fate, do what you want, but never regret it.

There is no such thing as destiny, okay, let's say there is a higher being, and ''destiny'' exists, and that everything is going to happen as ''he/she/enter other gender here'' wishes, what is the point then? when it's already known to ''him/her/enter other gender here'' who goes to '' Hell/Heaven''
Oh, er... actually FYI, "fate" is decided by a higher entity. Y'know, fated? "Destiny" is actually the term that gives us choice. Perhaps the better word is "consequence". Oh well, ESL ( English is a stupid language). Take a memo. Orz

But still, we are talking about existentialism vs solipsism (aka, about "what is reality", not fate/ destiny/ religion) . ^u^;; For existentialism, your point may be true but take solipsism in mind. Although that is a different point, it is still interesting. What IF you are the only one existing? Maybe I'm just a projection of your mind. Wouldn't you be argueing with yourself? This isn't about "destiny" or "fate. It's more of a "reality check" or "paradigm" kinda thing. Don't get me wrong~

But I can't blame you~ Everyone interperates things different ways... Say some people don't believe in Hell/ Heaven but believe in reincarnation/ Nirvana because of outside influences. ^u^

Old 08-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
ElChupacabra
Rookie

ElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of light

Well, existentialism is itself a pretty solipsist philosophy. The two are certainly not mutually exclusive.

Anyways, you forgot to mention the most basic tenet of existentialism, namely, "existence is prior to essence." What that statement means is (basically) that you are what you do (your actions (existence) create your being (essence)), which is contrary to some other philosophies' assertion that your essence is already defined and that your actions will always follow from it.

I think you're basically wrong about existentialism concerning itself with "why am I here?" The basic idea is more "I am here," and that there is no abstract construct of religion or reason which can free me of the responsibility of choosing my own path. Thus the strong vein of absurdism in existentialist literature, because the existentialists saw most people's "rational" justifications for their actions as just that: absurd. The insistence that one can't decide based on rationalism is the main reason that I describe existentialism as solipsist.

Of course, I've butchered it with over-simplification. If it sounds like it would interest you, read some Sartre, Camus (Bush did!), or Tillich (if you're Christian). Marjorie Greene's "Introduction to Existentialism" is a great read, too; don't be fooled by the title, it is every bit as esoteric as a good philosophy book should be.

ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
troublesum-chan
i has one eyeball & its for yu
Elite Jounin

troublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternaltroublesum-chan is Eternal
Send a message via MSN to troublesum-chan Send a message via Skype™ to troublesum-chan

i always thought existentialism was asking all those questions about your existnence, or even if you exist at all. >_> though some would argue that even if you take all basic preconceptions away, we already know we exist because we "think".

I'm not sure just what i believe yet, but i do find the concept of existentialism rather interesting. Some say we have no rational free will, because everything we do is based off of the complex laws and rules that bind nature and our existance together. It's akin to believing we are all just characters is some great book, authored by a great entity (some would call him/her/it "god") and the impulses of that entities mind. We only think what he has us think, we only so what he has us do. To me it makes sense in some ways because...
1. If you believe the bible(which is a half and half thing on this forum, no offense XD im a bit skeptical myself), then the universe was created in seven days. People have argued that time is just a figment created by our minds and cannot be measured in terms of God; what is a week for him could be aeons for us. Its just as true with a book: years may pass in the space of a few chapters(even a few pages) but it usually doesnt take years to read a book.
2. Everything we do is based off of the "laws" of nature. Is there really truly free will, even without the constraints of existentialism? You can choose what you can wear but you can't leap 30 feet into the sky. And even in choosing what to wear, certain people are born and shaped to like certain colors better, certain styles better. Are we shaped that way because we chose to? or because we are created so?
3. "God" is often described as one that is omnipresent, one that sees all and knows all. There are many books wherein the author is third person omnipresent, knowing all the events before they happen, seeing through the eyes of all. In a book, the author is god. and in our world, in a way, god is the author.

i dont mean to say that we are all in a book, its just a way of seing existentialism. But it does seem rather dreary that all the things we do are merely what god has us do. The thought that we really have no free will and thus there is no point in us doing anything is apart of what is called existential angst, and its a killer >_> but i like that sort of thinking, so i live with it ^_^

Slopsism is still a little over my head(not that existentialism ISN'T, i'll be holding my breath for someone to come correct me on the above, thankyouverymuchinadvance), but from what i can gather it would probably only make me sadder than the aforementioned angst. But since "it makes me sad" is not a good reason to shut down one theory in favor of another(i mean, its philosphy, not dr.philosophy), i won't.

You me and we are all created by impulses of the mind. sounds rather familiar, but it places me in the seat that previsouly in EX belonged to god, and i dont feel like i have that kind of power to create all this just in the space of my own subconsious mind. Perhaps it is absurd then to think that there is such a being that CAN create all this in THEIR mind, so in away removing the possibility of one theory displaces the other. You can't really disprove either and therefore...

...i guess im back to where i started >_> well i like existentialism better. so there! XP gah

troublesum-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
ElChupacabra
Rookie

ElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of lightElChupacabra is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublesum-chan
i always thought existentialism was asking all those questions about your existnence, or even if you exist at all. >_> though some would argue that even if you take all basic preconceptions away, we already know we exist because we "think".
No, it's different than that. In general, existentialism isn't about asking questions, and it's definitely not about the supernatural. The trouble is that it really can't be summarized in a paragraph. It's a very complex philosophy, and also one with a lot of internal disagreements. It's safe to say that "there are no answers" is a quintessentially existentialist statement, as is "the world is absurd."

People use existentialism to mean "asking questions about existence," but the only way you'd use it that way would be if you haven't read any actual existentialist philosophers.

ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Danchou
Antagonist

Danchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is TranscendentDanchou is Transcendent

I've always been a solipsist, without knowing that it was an existing theory. Still, I'm not sure what this means for my own idea's. Since it is a little strange to have different minds thinking the same thing.

Danchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
♥Body Buddy♥
DEIDARA FTW!
Special Jounin

ElChupacabra: Well, I wouldn't be typing everything up for everyone anyways. There's a button for people to press if they would like to read more. If not, then that's just them missing out on the information.~ About the existence of essence, or the "consequence" thing. I believe people can already derive this from the information/ discussion I typed up. If not, then they are brain dead. I also implied "You can control your own destiny." Destiny is kinda hard to explain, but it can also be more of a "snowball" thing. You might of read this from a different perspective (hey, that's good, another kind of comment 8D). You have your own opinions, though I still believe existentialism is more of a "why am I here?" theory. If there is no question, then there wouldn't be a discussion. And if you are here, why the hell are you doing here? Think about that. I've also got a reading request for you ^u^ Go read some poetry.~

troublesum-chan:
Quote:
i always thought existentialism was asking all those questions about your existnence, or even if you exist at all.
It is. XD;; Don't worry, I didn't crush your beliefs to dust~ Although, you said "we exist because we think". It's hard to prove that other people think. So, if they don't think, then they don't exist? Do plants exist? They don't think, do they? Let's put it in my perspective. I know I'm thinking, do you think? Or am I just thinking for you? (that's some solipsm for you 8D)~ For existentialism, we are free from constriction by anything, except our birth, and maybe our parents (haha, no srsly). Well, unless you believe that you get to choose who you were born to and then you forget everything ( some kinda of farfetched, but probable Chinese theory). Your concept on the God as author is often used, though still a very interesting topic to look up on ^u^. Well, there are so many questions we may hold the answer to, though can't prove, it's good to use our brains though. Makes us think~

Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
Akechi
Durdedur
Jounin

Akechi has disabled reputation

I've always wondered if the entire world was created by my mind and none of it's real, it's possible but it seems so impossible at the same time.

I like existentialism. I ponder about that stuff every day.

Akechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
♥Body Buddy♥
DEIDARA FTW!
Special Jounin

Sophomore + Akechi : Well, that gives you more to think about!~ But basically for these theories, it's more of what you yourself believe in, after collecting and reading all the facts... On the other hand, there are no facts, just theories and excerpts from philosophers. ^u^;;