Stephen Kings The Dark Tower Series - Page 16 - Naruto Forums
  • Free Naruto Games
  • Naruto Wallpaper
  • Want a Good Laugh Check out These Funny Pics
Welcome to the Naruto Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Notices

Go Back   Naruto Forums > Konoha Mall > Reader's Corner

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #301
Corruption
The Sword in the Darkness
ANBU Captain

Corruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
Very early on it was a bit of a struggle to get into it but once Eddie was involved it was all good from there.
You have remembered the face of your father. Eddie is awesome!

Corruption is offline   Reply With Quote
NarutoForums

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #302
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

CrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is Eternal
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMoronX

My father's face is humorous, framed with bushy eyebrows and adorned with a bulbous nose.

CrazyMoronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #303
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

Cyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareil
Send a message via MSN to Cyphon

Just finished up The Waste Lands.

A solid book. I find that this series isn't really a page turner full of exciting things but it is still an enjoyable read. Of every series I have read this would probably fall near the bottom but that isn't necessarily a bad thing given how much I like a lot of the books I read.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of this book was right near the end when Roland bitch slapped the train into submission. I enjoyed the addition of Oy as well. I always like pet companions. Definitely some solid moments but in general it was just okay.

We shall see what the next installment brings.

Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #304
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

CrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is EternalCrazyMoronX is Eternal

In terms of page-turneredness I think Wastelands is near the top. It's certainly the best book.

The first book is dead last.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #305
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

Cyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareilCyphon est le sans pareil

I did forget to mention that I liked the art in the third book much better than the second.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #306
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

I think there is different sets of art in different series of books.

I've seen all kinds of it on the Internet, but I have only seen a few in books.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #307
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

This one had a picture of Skardix the bear, the old folks blessing Roland, the evil house trying to eat jake, the bird-like creatures eating some other type of animal in the valley, Susannah riding Rolands shoulders and shooting at the bear etc.....

The last book had mainly pictures of Eddie and Roland as well as one of the Lobstrosities. IMO it was all pretty ugly which I think it was kind of meant to be a very gritty type of art.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #308
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

I didn't see either of those.

Jealous.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #309
Whimsy

Whimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is ElysianWhimsy is Elysian

The Waste lands was my favourite too

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #310
The Bite of the She-Wolf
Luther
Kage

The Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is RapturousThe Bite of the She-Wolf is Rapturous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
IMO it was all pretty ugly which I think it was kind of meant to be a very gritty type of art.
That book has like two different sets of paintings. I think I have both (through the I-III softcovers boxset and the hardcover reprints), and like both, though Roland stepping on a lobstrosity looks better without the photorealism. Roland shooting that guy's knife off his hand was neat like that though.

The Bite of the She-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #311
BatoKusanagi
Naruhina: Road to Canon
Elite Jounin

BatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is CelestialBatoKusanagi is Celestial
Send a message via Skype™ to BatoKusanagi

I've read them all, and think it's a masterpiece. My favorite one is the Gunslinger because you could see Stephen's style before it was as developed as it is now and that first line is epic: "The Man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed"

BatoKusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #312
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

I liked book 2 the most because it had the most sci-fi elements.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #313
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

Just finished up Wizard and Glass.

IMO, easily the best book of the series so far. This is the first one I was really hooked into and just wanting to see what came next. The longest book and probably the one I read at the fastest pace.

I really liked seeing into Rolands past and meeting Cuthbert and Seemie especially. It honestly made me want to get more detail about his past than I do about the main story looking ahead. Which kind of sucks because I am assuming there won't be much more in that regard, at least in so much detail.

This book had a lot of good scenes as well. The early bar standoff with the 3 Coffins. The stuff with Rhea was pretty freaky. The ambushes at the end and Susan being burned in the fire while Roland watched. Yeah......This book definitely stands a bit apart from the others.

I didn't like the art in this book. Kind of went back to the feel it had in book 2. There was one picture I really liked though.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #314
Corruption
ANBU Captain

Corruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is LuminaryCorruption is Luminary

Wizard and Glass was my favorite so far too. I just finished Wolves of the Calla. There were some parts I really liked, but I thought it took too long to get to the central plot of the book.

The first 4 books I got in a box set, there was no art. Wolves of the Calla had art and I got the last 2 books on my kindle, so nothing there.

Overall I'm enjoying the series, but I think I would like it even more if I read the other Stephen King novels that it crosses into.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #315
Slice
Dangerous

Slice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is RapturousSlice is Rapturous

Best for me was 'The Wastelands' followed closely by 'The Drawing of the three' (is that the correct name for the second book?)

After reading the Wastelands i was so hyped for this series and then had to wait years until 'Wizard and Glass' finally was released. I think i might rate the fourth higher if i had read them back to back.

Fifth onward had a steady decline in quality. They were still good but lacked the epic feel.
Also even years after reading them i am still not happy with some decissions King made for the storytelling in books 6+7.

All of my books are without any art.

Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #316
Corruption
ANBU Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
After reading the Wastelands i was so hyped for this series and then had to wait years until 'Wizard and Glass' finally was released. I think i might rate the fourth higher if i had read them back to back.
That's understandable. Were you expecting it not to mostly be a flashback? It didn't progress the main story much, but the parts with Blaine and Walter were pretty cool.

Isn't the new book out or is coming out really soon?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #317
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

Just finished up Wolves of the Calla.

Another good one IMO. W&G is still my favorite but this one may be 2nd at this point or possibly 3rd. If I ever read through this series again and I could probably make a final decision on that.

My big complaint here is the ease at which the climax (battle) happens. They make it sound like it is such a hard thing to plan and accomplish and they go through all of that stuff in town for almost a month to form their plan and then it is just super easy. Of course you expect as much because Gunslingers are supposed to be amazing but it gets kind of annoying for them to act like they need help. They way the battle happened I feel like the 4 Gunslingers could have easily handled it on their own. Pretty stupid IMO.

Anyway I did enjoy the reading getting to that point and even enjoyed reading the battle. I just think it was all kind of pointless looking back.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #318
Cyphon
Brotherhood of the Beard
Final Villain

Song of Susannah is now finished.

This series has definitely grown on me from the beginning. I am still not sure how much I will want to reread it in the future but the possibility of that has certainly risen. Although, this book was a slight step back. I found everything but Susannah/Mia parts interesting and theirs at points I was just trying to rush through to get back to the other characters. So this one is kind of a toss up for where it will land in the overall scheme of where I rank them.

One of my favorite parts was the store shootout with Eddie and Roland handeling business once again. Probably one of the better moments in the whole series. Also liked Jake and Callahan during the taxi incident and everything in that whole chapter. Especially as they were approaching the final steps when the chapter was ending. Jake was pretty cool.

Now onto the finale.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #319
masamune1
Crouching Tiger
Hokage

masamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysianmasamune1 is Elysian

Be interesting to see how you feel about the last one.

Its the one book in the series mostly like to elicit....opinions.

masamune1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #320
CrazyMoronX
Old Man

I forgot all about the new book. Is that out yet?