Why are people afraid of death?

DragonHeart52
10-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I can't understand why some people are afraid of death. It will happen eventually to everyone so why do some many fear it, why do they tremble at the slightest thought of death. Its beyond me, I m clueless as to why. In my opinion, its pointless. Death is a necessary end that will come when it comes.
I'm not as afraid of death as I am of not finishing the things that I want to have completed by the time I die. I don't know if it's death that I fear as much as the process of dying; when the time comes, I really would prefer something quick, clean, and as painless as possible. Unfortunately, our current society reserves that for those perceived as being the worst of criminals.

Death itself is a big unknown. The question still remains whether life as I know it is just a passing through and death takes me on to the next phase or oblivion. No one can answer that for me (although those with "faith" will tell me they can). The unknown always makes people fearful.

kataimiko
10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I think I am more afraid of the process of which will lead to my demise. May it be falling from a 5 story building, or being hit by a car...who knows. :oh

TDM
10-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Death is typically painful. Pain more or less=Death. Pain > Humans (the base humans anyway) therefore Death > Humans.

ANBU87
10-08-2005, 07:47 PM
"everyone knows they're going to die. But they don't believe it" My Hist 12 teacher showed it to us. Maybe ppl are afraid of what will happen next. or they like life here. who knows...

road_rash
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
A lot of people fear death because they don't know what will happen to them ,or as it was said, they are afraid of having a pinful death. I must admit, dying a slow and painful death sends shivers up my spine as well.

As for me, I used to be not afraid of death (cause to me death = get to meet God), but for the past several monhs I've been developing more of a fear for it, not for me, but what certain people would feel if they found out I have died. There's some people I just don't want to hurt with that news.

Does that mean I am not living for myself, but living for others?:oh

Sasume
10-08-2005, 10:11 PM
living is dying dying is living I'm afraid of life not death:sad

Kurairu
10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Honestly, I welcome death. It chooses when to come to each person and I have no reason to fear that. But I imagine that people that fear it just aren't content with their accomplishments or they have too much to look forward to. Or maybe they just aren't ready mentally to go. It's anyone's guess, but since it doesn't apply to me I'm not the best person to ask.

earthshine
10-08-2005, 11:12 PM
its not as much a fear of death, as much as a fear of running out of time. many have things they feel they still need to do, and are not ready for it to end.

also, nobody knows what happens after death. its no always the death, its the unkown that scares people

Warsaint777
10-08-2005, 11:13 PM
For those who don't believe in life after death, they fear death because to them it means the end of their very conscousness, meaning you will not even exist in your thinking, just as you were before you were born, forever; a small step from "Hell" if you ask me.

For those who are religious, presumably some form of Christian, even the scriptures claim Death as an entity & enemy that must be and will be defeated in the end. And it's talking about both the kind that destroys and rots your body as well as the kind that consumes your spirit. It's often referred to as "Hades" and many beleive the scriptures are just describing Hell as being an ultimate death of mind and spirit. People fear and hate death because God wants them to so we can feel good about it when he comes and shits on it in the end times.

No matter what the case, if you think you've come to some ultimate resolution that death is ok and that you're ready for it whenever, you're literally lying to yourself. Death can stop being feared when it's dead. Sure, we shouldn't dread it nonstop since right now it will claim us all physically, but God naturally built us to despise it so that we could avoid it and make the best of our lives before it comes to claim our bodies. Eventually Death will be killed, and our bodies will stay perfect forever and our souls will be immortal.

Just my opinion... alot of it's based on some dusty book I found in the attic.

EDIT: Just for anyone's information, Death is a an unlifted curse that came upon us at the birth of Sin. Sin and Death are intertwined and are one. Embracing Death is like embracing your seperation from God... I think that would hurt his feelings. The whole point of the Christian religion is seeking salvation from Death thru submission to God/Jesus so that the gap between us and God can close.

SeruraRenge
10-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I think I am more afraid of the process of which will lead to my demise. May it be falling from a 5 story building, or being hit by a car...who knows. :oh
It you fall from high enough, yur body will be basically liquified when it hits the ground, so you won't feel pain:amuse .

Anyway, I think that people are afraid of death because it's the one thing that no one knows what happens after.

Hey wait, I just thought of something. Everything our body is capable of going through has a survival factor, in order for....i dunno, nature to be balanced or sumthin. So, since death is part of the biological process, does that mean it has a survival factor too, but it's so low that no one has lived through it yet?

Dark Schneider
10-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Well personally, I am not afraid of death. However who knows? Death is a natural process--the next step.Then again, I believe that once I die I'll be buried 6 feet under--and that will be the end of me. The main reason as to why death is feared, is the fact that it charters in the territory of the "unknown". Until we can comprehend the essence of death, it will always be a dreaded topic. C'est la vie!

sensaike
10-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Human being are afraid of what they don’t understand. Like the saying goes, “what we don’t understand we destroy”

Death is a gift to us human. One that we were not meant to have. For those who believe in God remember what happened to the first two human ever creative. If you ask me, death is what gives us a purpose. Think about it with out death we would have noting to look forward to and nothing we couldn’t do. It all would be a matter of time until you do it. Cause eventually we would do everything and we would become bored, of immortality of life…It is because of death that we volume the stuff we do, because we know that we may not get another chance to do it. You only have one chance and you have to do what u have to do. Went you have to it.

Don’t get me wrong though. Went I said it was a gift. I dint meant a gift from God to us. He gave it to us as a sentence, death sentence… Why he did it, I can’t really get that. Either because he was afraid of us or to save us. Depends on what u want to believe or know… He did say that we had the same abilities as him or more like we could get the same abilities as him. Therefore, we must die… Either because he loves being more powerful then us and having us as puppets or because we would kill ourselves with it.

For those who don’t believe in God. U don’t have to. I don’t ether. I believe he exists, but I will not follow him. People go to church, pray for him, and obey him, because they fear him. They know that if he does exist, they would rather go with him because he can save and protect them. They only do what they do because they know that he can erase them if he wants… that’s fear and not having freedom. We were place in this earth to be free and find ours purpose. However, you can’t do that if you area mindless follower!

I don’t know what Gods purpose was for creating us. Maybe we were not even creative by him. Maybe we were creative by a bacterium like scientists believe. Who knows? Nevertheless, we do know this; we are here so lets do what we have to do and what we want to do.

For those who believe in God so much, remember that he wouldn’t tell you the full truth if it were to get in the way of his plans. He would tell you what you want to heard… doesn’t even have to get in his way he can and just lie to you. Gundam seed destiny story line for example… If you want a more visible view of it. Not everything is the way it appears to be…

If you are asking, why is it that I’m telling you how to think or what to think about went I say I believe in freedom? It is because people will listen, because as much as I hate it, people are mostly followers. And they are use to learning like this. So I’m teaching you the way you are use to learn because is easier for you to learn…

Think about it, God get all the praise for all the good things in life, but never gets blame for the bad ones. Whys is that? You may ask. Either because people can’t bring themselves to believe that god may be bad or that he doesn’t help us. Or it could be because they are afraid of him or have their brain shut to anything other then what they want to believe or what they were teach... They refuse to believe anything other then what they want to believe… If you ask me having, an open mind is the best thing that one can do. An advice can come from anybody, don’t matter who he is or what his intention was or is…

Wing-Zero
10-09-2005, 12:53 AM
i am not afraid of death, or how i will die so meh

Chamcham Trigger
10-09-2005, 02:15 AM
People are afriad of death for a multitude of reasons. There are so many so I'll try to make as general a list as possible in 3 reasons.
1. Religious people may think they're going to hell so they're afraid.
2. People have attatchments to this world be it money, family, purpose in life etc.
3. People don't know what happens after they die.

cinosweiv
10-09-2005, 03:08 AM
"It is the unknown that we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more" direct quote from Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter Half Blood Prince.

Pretty reasonable, isn't it?

Warsaint777
10-09-2005, 04:06 AM
If I were like you people who are content with not knowing what the hell happens with your soul after death, I would go insane.

Your thinking that the fate of the soul could be one out of any huge number of possible fates, and your just sitting there waiting to die so you can find out for yourself?! What if when you die you discover God extinguishes souls that didn't submit to Jesus when in life?! What will you do then?! Start taking precautions! You don't have to cover all your bases, but at LEAST believe in SOMETHING! Don't you people realize how important your eternal conscousness is?!

Cthulhu-versailles
10-09-2005, 05:38 AM
... U can;t understand?

If you were starving or living in a war torn country you'd understand pretty damn well. If you had a diease, you'd understand pretty damn well. If you've been surrounded by death your whole life you'd understand pretty well.

I'm not afraid of death, but a whole lot of people are, and for good reason-

Ps: All teenagers are fearless anyway. When you have kids that fear becomes death and that your kids won't have you.

Pss: You show you YOUTH!

Psss: The exuberensate of youth!-Is that what lee always says.. err wtf that line- Goddamit

Eden Prime
10-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Not so much afraid of death, more afraid of not living; no purpose, no chances, everything is done. And you can't change your legacy.

Nico
10-10-2005, 08:05 AM
I think some people are afraid of death because they don't want to experience how it will happen.

Leon S. Kennedy
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm not afraid of death, but I'd rather not die before the age of 50. Then I can die. I have a lot to accomplish before that point, like making an invincibility/immortality potion.

silent_speech
10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
like so many people said before me, i believe that people aren't afraid of the concept of death per se; they're afraid of the uncertainty of what comes after death. Kind of like the reason why kids are afraid of the dark; they aren't really afraid of the "dark", they're afraid of "what can come out of the dark", in other words, the concept of uncertainty.

Lord Itachi
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
that means you are afraid of death if you dont wanna die before 50. every is afraid. its just where would you go afterwards

fed.
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I can't understand why some people are afraid of death. It will happen eventually to everyone so why do some many fear it, why do they tremble at the slightest thought of death. Its beyond me, I m clueless as to why. In my opinion, its pointless. Death is a necessary end that will come when it comes.
You say that now but when you get older you'll be afraid. Or when you are in a life and death situation, you will want to live. Otherwise, you're just suicidal.

Kakashis_grl_Ice
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I believe that people are afraid of death because they are afraid to leave things undone. To have a life that was unworthly and to have an after life they will regret if they did not live right. Most are probually afraid that they didnt' live a full life and so forth. And some don't want to come to terms with the fact that once they are dead they are forever gone. So they do not want to die.

princesstaco
10-10-2005, 09:12 PM
People who fear death tend to live life a bit more cautiously and probably live longer as a result. A person who lives longer has more chances to reproduce and pass on this 'death fearing' trend. These people, in turn, fear death, live longer, and produce more death fearing children in a giant death fearing cycle.

People who don't fear death will tend to act with less caution. Ergo, they probably put themselves at greater risk and may die before being able to reproduce.

Eventually, the vast majority of the population fears death.

Fearing death is a survival mechanism.

ahhh...natural selection.

Danny Lilithborne
10-11-2005, 12:36 AM
I fear girls more than death. At least death is certain.

Kasumi 霞
10-11-2005, 01:03 AM
I think people are afraid of death because they're afraid that it's going to be worst than life. Some people have already accepted their fate but others still want to cling on and experience every bit of life before it ends.

Master Scorpion
10-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Because they know that they will end up in Hell! so that's why ppl scare of death....

Lord Itachi
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I agree with that. i think that if they know that they are going to heaven then they will not be afraid to die. But i also think that they are afraid of how they are going to die.

noboundZ
10-15-2005, 08:38 AM
to quote from jimi hendrix,

Life is pleasant, death is peaceful. It's the transition thats troublesome...

shizuru
10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
people are affriad of death because they dont know what will happen

BooYah
10-18-2005, 07:24 AM
its bcoz ppl will not know what will happen if they die..thats why they are afraid.

NarutoUzumaki
10-18-2005, 07:30 AM
It doesn't matter to me it's to troublesome to die so I won't

Rook
10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Kinda makes you think about the old saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes."

The prospect of hell and damnation is probably the biggest reason why people fear death.

Kabuto_o
10-20-2005, 05:31 AM

Yes, it's a necessary end that will happen to everyone, death is inevitable. That doesn't mean we should die before that time, that would be totally unnecessary and stupid.

Sorry, I just can't understand how you think when asking that question, I think it's stupid. People don't just want to die like that. People are afraid of it because when you die, you cease to exist. I can always add that it's totally unknown what happens when you die, no one can proove anything, not yet atleast.

falconmain
10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
with death comes the fact that life as you know it ceases to exist, no more seeing your girlfriend, your mom, hanging with your friends etc etc when you have lived for awhile you become accustom to your suroundings. with death these things which you depend on which give you comfort are no more. this brings fear in a couple different ways first you are now alone, in a unfamiliar situation and most likely being eaten by worms..... (that was for all you worm people :P) everything you have ever known, loved, and desired are gone or will never come to be. ok I have rambled enough...

Near
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I see life and death like a book. The beginning and end are definite. Alot of time when you are in the middle you are distracted, or oblivious to that notation. A good book will statisfy the reader when it ends properly. When a book or poorly written, alot of time you want to avoid going further or getting to the end and feeling unsatisfied. It feels like a waste of time. Problem is inbetween you dont realise at one point this has to end, and once you inch your way over to those last few pages, you know, that you cant go back, and trying to fix it at this point would be nearly impossible. Its like a deer frozen in the headlights. Your subconscious aware of this aspect, but are hopeless to change it. That would strike fear in anyone, knowning that the defining moment is that end peice, the conclusion. If you ended right, you have nothing to fear, but if you didnt, you went down the slide already, you have to stay for the ride.

kakako petja
10-24-2005, 09:49 PM
they believe they are "someone". psychologically speaking.
people who get afraid of death start thinking first of their past or "themselfs" and then they make the connection with the future where they imagine themself dying and then they become afraid. if you would just stop fantasizing, you wouldn't get scared. also if you realize that you are a part of nature, from food to sperm to person to ashes to food to cowshit. you would realize that death is no big deal. again, it is the thinking of "i am special" that makes you scared.

Cthulhu-versailles
10-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Here is the most uber answer possible.In fact it is so mind blowin, it need not be read by the discernable public however, I provide it to you. The few who dare cli8ck the spoiler and be enlightened with the reverance of my truth!

People are afraid of death, because they like living to much.:amazed

Hatake Kakashiold
10-30-2005, 11:56 PM
"SOME" People are afraid of Death because they think life ends after it. Har har! :P

If that was the case I couldve killed myself right now! Bwa ha ha ha!

funjat
11-04-2005, 03:06 PM
(some arb references*) = the fear of death only existed after the 1600s, i.e. the Renaissance, when research was made into human autopsy. Postmortem, ppl started developing diseases such as bacteria and all decay induced infections.

it was after the discovery of these diseases that ppl actually started fearing death due to fear of what could potentially happen to them. this fear then propogated forward in human history until today.

(imo) = fear of death is a figment of human imagination. it was brought about due to social interactions that subliminally altered our intial perception of death (wahtever that was). so the fear of death is propoganda.

thats why ppl in period movies look so great in the face of death, it was nothing to be feared. waht mattered was the way you died.

* = i'll try to get my hands on them

diglossiablues
11-04-2005, 05:26 PM
(some arb references*) = the fear of death only existed after the 1600s, i.e. the Renaissance, when research was made into human autopsy. Postmortem, ppl started developing diseases such as bacteria and all decay induced infections.

it was after the discovery of these diseases that ppl actually started fearing death due to fear of what could potentially happen to them. this fear then propogated forward in human history until today.

(imo) = fear of death is a figment of human imagination. it was brought about due to social interactions that subliminally altered our intial perception of death (wahtever that was). so the fear of death is propoganda.

thats why ppl in period movies look so great in the face of death, it was nothing to be feared. waht mattered was the way you died.

* = i'll try to get my hands on them

I'm really interested in seeing these references, because I can almost guarantee you that the fear of death has been around a lot longer than the 1600s - and existed in cultures other than those steeped western european history. The development of atheist and agnostic philosophy is entrenched in quite a bit more than just medical developments [but that's an aside].

People were also well aware of disease and decay prior to that [The Egyptians even knew about decay, why else practice mummification? Why mummify? Fear of true death if the body decayed.] Egyptians, Mesopotamiams, Greeks, Romans, etc [to stay in the west for now] knew about diseases and had complex herbal medicine to deal with them, as do most cultures from anywhere on the planet. Those living in the Chiapas Highlands of Mexico had some notion of disease being caused by a microscopic agent, although they weren't dealing with it on the same level as western medicine and bacteria and virii.

What caught on in the 1600s, through dealing with the plague was a shift in the European view of disease and how to approach treating it. I should also note that prior to the dark ages the indigineous European populations had just as complex of folk medical systems as most other cultures out there... and prior to the period of Enlightenment [and arguably after as well] China has had the most developed and robust systems of medicine.

I think the fear of death is very simply rooted. At some point you realize you are, you know that other people cease to be at least as far as you can perceive... logically this means that you will also cease. Those two limits on life as we know it are frightening to deal with in general.

funjat
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
i might not be the best person to argue on this point but i'll humour (at least myself).

[The Egyptians even knew about decay, why else practice mummification? Why mummify? Fear of true death if the body decayed.]

Egyptians did mummification because they thought that after death the soul could return to life. from www.humanehealthcare.com/vol5n1e/anegph.html.

so they didn't do it for fear of death.

because I can almost guarantee you that the fear of death has been around a lot longer than the 1600s - and existed in cultures other than those steeped western european history.

the fear of death could have been spread thoughout the world from the west to other nations, as you know the west's culltural views have been footprinted on the rest of the world.

rimpelcut
11-05-2005, 06:59 AM
because they are sissies and still carry certain Psychological burdens, havent solved certain problems.

neko-sennin
11-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Most people are as unprepared for life as they are for death.

Though to me, the real problem lies in either being serparated from those you love, or in being cut off before you've finished whatever mission you've taken on in life.

I, for one, would like to live long enough to finish me life's work. I may or may not die happy, but I'll at least die satisfied.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/scoot_the_koan/osaka_power_sig_02.jpg

Jackal Iscariot
11-05-2005, 10:47 AM
i have a lot of things to do so yeah...

i wanna die as a 75-year old man smexin 3 hot prostitutes!
(high on cacaine and viagra XD)

TheChoji
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
There are a few explanations for why people fear death. One is that they didn't do everything they wanted to in life, or didn't play life how they wanted to live. Another is that they don't want to leave behind what they have when they're alive. Many cultures tell the person to fear death itself for it is not far behind as portrayed in Mexico on The Day of the Dead (or at least they used too). I know that when I was 5, I was very happy, but then my great aunt died and it got me thinking about dying. I was very scared because I didn't want to go away from my family. A last reason is that some people are afraid of what will happen to them in the after life, if there is one at all. Will they go to hell, heaven, or an alternative domain where they will be bored for all eternity. That's what I would be scared of when I die.

Kurairu
11-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I imagine it's the fact that they truly don't know what to expect, despite any beliefs they may or may not have. I'm an Atheist, and I don't fear dying, I'll go when I have to. Your brain just stops recieving messages and your thoughts stop, and you're just gone. That or maybe something happens with the 90% of our brain that we can't use. Live humans will probably never know what happens when one dies.

diglossiablues
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
i might not be the best person to argue on this point but i'll humour (at least myself).

from www.humanehealthcare.com/vol5n1e/anegph.html.

so they didn't do it for fear of death.

the fear of death could have been spread thoughout the world from the west to other nations, as you know the west's culltural views have been footprinted on the rest of the world.

Sure they did it for fear of death -- if mummification is necessary for life after death, and the pharaohs and priests are practicing mummification, leaving massive amounts of wealth in their tombs and even sometimes servants so that they can live beyond and keep their standing it stands to reason they would be afraid, essentially, of not doing so and so going to oblivion.

The Egyptian afterlife scenerio is very complex. The whole "Book of the Dead" is a set of spells to help you in the afterlife because even after you die, your soul can still be destroyed before you get to the "Western Lands". Many trials await the dead before they get there, the first of which is the classic weighing your heart against a feather. If your heart is lighter, you get to stand the trials. If your heart is heavier Amut eats your heart and in so doing destroys your soul permanently. The egyptians were afraid of that, oh yes. And what is that but an idea of death as an ultimate end?

Rui
11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Maybe because they haven't done things they wanted to do, like for example, a male/female teen will say in a troublesome situation: "I can't die a virgin" Or simply just because they are afraid what might happen to them when they die.

rimpelcut
12-03-2005, 09:17 AM
people who are afraid to lose the ones they love don't understand themselfs. The love comes from oneself not from that person that they love. If they don't see that they are attached to that person. attachment creates desire, hate, desperate, fear, anxiety, blockage of movement. affliction and suffering in general. All of this based in ignorance.

hesd
12-03-2005, 09:58 AM
People also are uncertain about what's next. The human mind is fixated on knowing what would happen in advance. Since no one has actually been dead and lived to tell the tale, then the fear of not knowing lingers painfully in the psyche of every human. But I do not afraid of death. I know where i am going.

batanga
12-03-2005, 10:37 AM
People instinctively fear what´s unknown.

Also, every living thing has an instinct to survive. Death opposes that and our nature is to avoid it, as long as possible.

Well, that´s my take on it.

rimpelcut
12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
People also are uncertain about what's next. The human mind is fixated on knowing what would happen in advance. Since no one has actually been dead and lived to tell the tale, then the fear of not knowing lingers painfully in the psyche of every human. But I do not afraid of death. I know where i am going.

people don't need to know where they are going next, what will happen next, to stop that fear. They get the fear because they want to prepare themselfs for what comes next but they can't because they just don't know. When something finally happens you will think of a way to cope. So you must have experience in solving problems to get that confidence in yourself of your ability. It is not so hard to understand and cope with something anyway. Only for the person that is ill-willed it is hard because that person forgets his goal and why it was important to get to it. I don't fear death because when it comes I will look in it's eyes.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum