Does the crew know about Luffy's Gears?

MacGyver
06-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Was wondering the same thing as you, but didnt ussop see luffy in gear 2? when he was yelling stuff to him, he saw that steam was coming out of luffy

rockstar sin
06-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I doubt the crew knows about Luffy's Crew unless they seen that Giant fist that destroyed the tower knocking Lucci to the ship.

Segan
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Probably not. Just as the crew knows nothing about Sanji's "Jambe Diable" or about Zoro's "Ashura".

Though Franky saw Luffy's 2nd Gear. He might not know what that was, but at least he saw it.

rockstar sin
06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
^Yeah I agree with you and I think Ussop seen Gear 2 but has no idea what it is. I can't wait to see the crew reaction when Luffy turns chibi lol.

Masaki
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Usopp saw Jet Gatling, didn't he?

But I guess he wasn't aware that it was Gear 2nd.

raibbhani
06-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Some of the crews saw it, but none of them knows whats that really was...

wexes
06-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I believe Franky saw Luffy in Gear Second, then Luffy just told him to go rescue Robin. Usopp also saw Luffy use Jet Gatling Gun.

Wrath
06-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Actually, Usopp probably didn't see Jet Gatling. I mean, remember how Blueno couldn't even see Jet Pistol?

Masaki
06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Actually, Usopp probably didn't see Jet Gatling. I mean, remember how Blueno couldn't even see Jet Pistol?

Well, Lucci didn't knock himself out, now did he?

Elyon
06-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I think he saw Jet Gatling exactly how we see it in the anime.

But, the entire crew saw Gear 2. Remember when they're all telling him to win so they can go home together? He's in Gear 2 form. I think Nami and Robin were gone during that time...and Chopper though.

Toffeeman
06-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Only Franky has seen Gear 2, as far as im aware..

Masaki
06-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Only Franky has seen Gear 2, as far as im aware..

He's the only one who saw the "transformation".

Deviate
06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I got a question relating to the gears. How was Luffy able to perform them? All I remember was that Luffy told the first CP9 that he learned it from his last fight. How was Luffy able to do what he did? How was he able to pull that out of his ass? Sanji and Zoro too? That was something I didn't like about the last arc.

spaZ
06-09-2007, 09:18 PM
They probably know but don't care because they don't know that every time luffy uses that technique its killing him, if they knew that they all probably would say something. Like look at chopper they barely even said anything about him becoming a monster.

Pimp of Pimps
06-09-2007, 11:56 PM
No, I don't think they do. When (or if) they heard the "Jet", they probably had no idea what it meant. And I don't think they were around for gear 3.

Broleta
06-10-2007, 05:17 AM
I don't think they really care to be honest. As long as he gets the job done by beating up who he needs to beat they're happy.

Yulwei
06-10-2007, 05:31 AM
I got a question relating to the gears. How was Luffy able to perform them? All I remember was that Luffy told the first CP9 that he learned it from his last fight. How was Luffy able to do what he did? How was he able to pull that out of his ass? Sanji and Zoro too? That was something I didn't like about the last arc.

Luffy determined to get stronger after getting owned by Aokiji. We can assume the gears are a result of that decision. Zoro is always training and since we've never seen all of Sanji's techniques there's no reason to say he didn't always know diable jamble. As for the mechanics it's as follows:
Gear 2 - Boost your metabolism and enlarge your viens,arteries and capillaries to cope with the blood rushing around your body. The increase in metabolism means an energy boost.
Gear 3 - Fill your bones with air. Rubber bones are harder than a mere rubber body so instead of bouncing of things ricochet
Diable Jamble - create friction on leg until it catches fire then kick
Asura - illusion created by fighters aura

jjv236
06-10-2007, 06:16 AM

Luffy finds out about gear 2 in the 7th movie when he accidentally uses it.

Techno_Jutsu
06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Maybe I'll have to go back and rewatch that episode where eveyone tells Luffy they're waiting for him. I remember that scene, but I thought he didn't turn on Gear 2nd until after everyone got caught up in their battles with the captains.

Deviate
06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks Mort! :)

Does Luffy really use gears in Movie 7? But why would the manga follow something that isn't cannon?

Pimp of Pimps
06-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Luffy finds out about gear 2 in the 7th movie when he accidentally uses it.

No he didn't, the movies don't count. Toei just thought it'd be a god ide to put Gear in after they saw it in the manga.

King Bookah
06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
What I'm wondering is when did Luffy have the time to learn this? If he knew Gears back when he faced Aokiji, I'm sure he would've used it. So what's the deal?

Random Nobody
06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't think any of them now about Gear Third, except for Nami knowing about that vague statement from Chimney. As for Gear Second, at least Ussop and Franky know.

EDIT: He didn't know about the Gears when he fought Aokiji, that's when he started thinking of ways to get stronger.

Elyon
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Aside from Nami, Robin, and Chopper:
Whole crew knows.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1522/29016341mv7.jpg
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/641/71987073nh1.jpg

Random Nobody
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Forgot about that part.

Tony Tony Chopper
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
They actually saw him on the tower but that doesn't mean that they would know about the smoke and red skin coming from the gear. The only thing i remember him saying was on the train when he said he had some new techniques he wanted to try out.

Elyon
06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
None of the crew actually know about Gear 2, they just know he has some kind of new weapon.

Techno_Jutsu
06-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Ok, so they've seen the steam and red skin, but they don't know that it's super-speed.

What I'm wondering is when did Luffy have the time to learn this? If he knew Gears back when he faced Aokiji, I'm sure he would've used it. So what's the deal?Luffy says that when he fought CP9 at Iceberg's house, he saw them kicking the ground rapidly before they used their moves, and that's when he got the idea.

I would also guess that his Gear 3rd was inspired by their tekkai, as both are a means of making the body incredibly hard.

Elyon
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
That was for Soru, not Gear 2. Gear 2 is basically speeding up the metabolism and blood flow, thus gaining more strength and speed through energy.

Gear 3 was more than likely inspired by Luffy's natural goofyness. He blows into his thumb, sending air into his bones. It isn't about making the body hard, it's about making his limbs big and strong.

jjv236
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
No he didn't, the movies don't count. Toei just thought it'd be a god ide to put Gear in after they saw it in the manga.

yeah it was already revealed in the manga and i guess they thought it would be cool to show us how he found it out and stuff

Techno_Jutsu
06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
That was for Soru, not Gear 2. Gear 2 is basically speeding up the metabolism and blood flow, thus gaining more strength and speed through energy.I always thought soru was in reality them kicking their leg fast to speed up the blood flow, exactly like Gear 2nd, except Luffy has rubber veins so he can use it without training his body.

Elyon
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Soru is them kicking off the ground ten times almost simultaneously as an acceleration method. Gear 2 is Blood Doping, without injections. It's something only a rubber man can do and hope to survive, especially to the level Luffy does it.

wiplok
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
so luffy basically has a lot of training ahead since he cant do soru without gear2.
does any1 have the same opinion? :oh

Wrath
06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Soru is just a technique that he can only use while in Gear 2, which is convenient since without Soru it wouldn't be that much of a boost, but rather it would improve his stamina and let him fight at his normal level for longer. So Gear 2 gives him added stamina in the short term to allow him to use a technique that would otherwise be too draining.

Kuroro
06-11-2007, 06:57 PM
The crewmembers may very well know about the gears, though I doubt they know the side-effects firsthand, especially Gear 2's downsides.

Techno_Jutsu
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Soru is them kicking off the ground ten times almost simultaneously as an acceleration method. Gear 2 is Blood Doping, without injections. It's something only a rubber man can do and hope to survive, especially to the level Luffy does it.Ah, I guess I just misunderstood what was going on in the manga. Blueno says Luffy had mastered one of the six forms, meaing Luffy figrued out how to do it by using a slightly different method, when really they're completely unrelated, except that the end result of both is super-speed.

ElementalShinobi
06-14-2007, 09:41 AM
They witnessed gear 2, I don't think any of them know about gear 3 though.

DukeLaGold
06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
I doubt the crew actually cares. They know that Luffy pulls off weirdo moves from time to time. Gear 2nd and 3rd are simply one of his cooler variations. Just as Luffy doesn't know about Monster Chopper, Franky's schematics, Zoro's Asura and Sanji's Diable Jambe, the crew trusts one another and more than satisfied knowing that they can rely upon each other.

Neko
06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I doubt the crew actually cares. They know that Luffy pulls off weirdo moves from time to time. Gear 2nd and 3rd are simply one of his cooler variations. Just as Luffy doesn't know about Monster Chopper, Franky's schematics, Zoro's Asura and Sanji's Diable Jambe, the crew trusts one another and more than satisfied knowing that they can rely upon each other.

:nod :nod :nod

Z3RO
06-16-2007, 06:07 AM
I don't know if this is a spoiler or not so....

In the part of the manga when luffy see's his grandpa, Garp. Coby and Helempo attack Luffy and Zoro with soru. Luffy can only use soru like speed in gear 2nd right? so obviously when he stopped coby from hitting him, he used gear 2nd and everybody saw it. i would post the pictures buh i dont have them on my computer =(

Savior
11-03-2007, 02:15 AM
He didn't need to use gear2 to stop Coby from what I saw in that episode.

Jicksy
11-10-2007, 08:47 AM
i dont think any of the crew has seen his gears and realised them for what they actually are yet. even in the latest arc of the manga, with all those shadows shoved into him and most of the crew knocked out, i dont think any of the crew will see his gears, probs because the 2 remaining concious that we know of, nami and usopp will probs have to go do something and then when theyve gone luffy will probs activate his gears from there lol

'REDHAIRED' SHANKS
11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Luffy mentions that he has some new techniques to try out when Zoro and Nami were chasing the sea train. This was way back in Ennies Lobby. And Usopp had seen Luffy in the second gear in the anime atleast. I am not too sure if it was in the manga also

Considerable time has passed from then and i am sure the crew must have asked luffy what were the results of trying his new technique. And luffy has no reason to hide them so i think every one knows .. and we know that luffy is not one to shy away from demonstrations ....

Jetstorm
11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I think they may have saw him in that form when they were trying to get away but only Franky and Usopp have seen it in action.

Whimsy
11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm fairly certain Luffy was able to perform soru in base form.

chibi_akuma
11-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I think the crew really don't care what kind of attcks the others in the crew have.

Shoddragon
11-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I saw the episode recently and the subtitles said that blueno said luffy was able to perfectly catch up to his soru speed, and when luffy used gear 2 he surpassed it easily. but blueno either:

1. Had not mastered soru as much as Lucci.
2. Lucci's leopard transformation is sorta like G2 in that it increases speed and such so his soru makes him faster.
3. lucci is simply physically lots stronger than blueno so his soru boosts him more..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum